Chapter 3: The Loop

Jacob was slowly beginning to regain consciousness, and all he saw were white shoes that belonged to the little girl who was carrying him.

Bronwyn approached the entrance of a cave, and she threw Jacob off of her shoulders, to which he landed on the ground harshly.

He groaned as he sat up and took in his surroundings to see seven people standing on the rocks.

The teen boy lifted himself to his feet, and his eyes widened as he recognised the people. "You're Emma!" He exclaimed as he pointed at her.

"And Olive." he looked over to the girl with firery red hair, and black leather gloves.

"And Bronwyn." The little girl with brown, curly hair nodded with a smile on her face as he said her name.

"And he's Millard!" An invisible boy saluted at Jake with confirmation as he hummed, but it just looked like a floating hat and clothes with no body in it.

"And you..." He looked up to see an older woman who stood behind the group of children. "You're (Y/n) Peregrine! The headmaster's wife." He pointed.

"That is correct." (Y/n) offered him a soft smile as she walked towards him. "I would shake your hand if I was able to, but this kind of introduction will have to do for now."

"If you were able to... Oh, that's right! Illusions are your peculiarity!" He reached out his hand towards her arm, but his hand went straight through, and the image of the woman's forearm faded slightly but returned when he removed it.

"Woah, so you're not really here?" He questioned, rhetorically. "It's just like Grandpa said."

"That's right." The woman nodded at him, chuckling slightly at his reaction.

"Wait... none of you are really here. You're supposed to be dead. All of you!" He lowered his hand with realisation as he glanced at them all with a confused expression.

"None of us are dead." Millard spoke up from where he was stood.

"Oh my God, am i dead?" Jacob panicked.

(Y/n) glanced to the side as she furrowed her brows. "No Jake, you're not." She shook her head. "No need to panic."

"Oh."

She then walked past the boy and looked around. "i'll be back in a moment." She told the children before her illusion disappeared.

"Where'd she go?" he asked, seeing as she was no longer there.

"She's gone to see if the coast is clear before we go into the loop." Emma informed as Olive made her way over to Jacob.

"You never know who might be watching." She placed a hand on his shoulder before leading him over to the cave.

"Wait, before we go into what?"

"Please, Jake, Mr. Peregrine's waiting. He saw you on the ferry. He sent us to get you." Emma explained.

"Miss (Y/n) will be back in a moment. She's just gone to check for danger."

Jacob looked at her. Danger... what danger? He decided not to press for the information and just let it be before remembering what happened back at the house. "You called me Abe. In the house. Why?"

The blonde girl looked down at her feet for a second before responding. "You looked like him. Just for a moment, before you started screaming... running away and concussing yourself."

As she said that, another illusion of (Y/n) appeared next to Jacob, which caused him to flinch and let out a yelp.

"Oh, i'm sorry for startling you." She apologised.