Chapter 5

Meera

As the sun rose, I woke up. I looked around and saw my husband wasn't anywhere in the room. I wrapped the sheet around my body as I felt shy even though I was alone. I felt pain between my thighs reminding me of last night deeds. I quickly took out my clothes from almirah and went to the attached bathroom. It was shocker to me as in my house we all had one bathroom and we had to fill water from the wells to have water. Here they not only had individual bathroom but also water pipes. Bathroom floor was wet so I checked the room and came out in my blouse and petticoat to tie my saree. I looked around in the room and realized that it was a mess due to our last night activities. I thought of quickly tying the saree, somewhat adjusting the room and then going downstairs.

I was just in the process of tying my saree when the gate of our room opened. My eyes went wide as I saw him entering. His eyes directly went to me, ME who was standing in just blouse and petticoat. He didn't react much. Fully composed he closed the door behind him and started searching for the thing he came for. I think he went to temple as he had a Tilak on his forehead. I picked up my saree and decided to run to bathroom.

"Kaha ja rahi hai?" My husband asked as I was about to execute my plan.
(Where are you going?)

"Bathroom mei"
(Inside the bathroom)

"Kyu?"
(Why?)

"Saree bandhane" I said as my cheeks were turning red.
(To tie my saree)

"Koi zaroorat nahi. Yhi bandh le. Bathroom mei geela hoga"
(It's alright. You can tie it here. Bathroom floor must be wet right now)

"Ji" (Ok) I agreed with him and started doing my job. He again started looking for something and when he got the papers he went to the balcony without even looking at me. After tying my saree, I put on my small red bindi. I wore heavy earrings too as I was newly married and Ma had told me to do so. My saree was going well with my chuda. The only problem was i wasn't able to hide the marks given by my husband. I applied a light shade lipstick and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked pretty. Just one thing was missing. I wanted him to apply sindoor in my maang today. I picked up my small sindoor box and went upto him in the balcony. Outside there was a beautiful morning sun and the view of garden. I tapped on his shoulder and he turned around to see me. He looked confused at me but when I forwarded the sindoor box, he immediately understood and applied it on my forehead. I touched his feet as Ma told me.

I came back in the room and decided to pick up my lehenga which was still lying on the sofa from last night. Keeping it in a Basket, I moved to bed. Well bed is going to be hard to clean because of its flower decoration. I started by removing the flowers which were scattered on the bed as the flowers tied to the bedposts were hard to remove and blushed at the sight of blood on the bedsheets.

"Kya kar rhi hai tu?" I turned around to look at him.
(What are you doing?)

"Bed saaf kar rhi hoon" I replied.
(Cleaning the bed)

"Rehne de. Naukar kar denge. Unka kaam hai"
(Leave it. The servants will do it. It's their work)

"Haan par" I said looking at him and then the red spot on bed sheets.
(Yeah but...)

"Kya par?" (What?) He looked at me confused and came near to look at what I was looking at. He saw it and showed no reaction.

"Koi nhi. Tu chord isse tujhe Bua ji bula rhi hai" (Its alright. You leave this and go downstairs, aunt is calling you) said while picking up the broken bangles which maybe he kept on the side table. I nodded and putting on my pallu went outside.

I saw Bua ji and Chachi ji and touched both of their feets.

"Khush raho"
(Stay happy)

"Sada suhagan raho" They both blessed me.
(Always remain married)

"Dekho toh kaise nikhar aa rakha hai iske chehre par" Chachi ji teased me
(Look at her face, she's glowing)

"Shayad Kal raat Pati ne khoob pyaar Kiya hai"
(Maybe her husband loved her a lot last night)

"Wo toh dikh hi raha hai" she said and they both laughed.
(We can totally see that)

"Bahu aaj Teri pehli rasoi hai ja kuch meeta bana de. Nashta mat bannana. Halwai bula rakhe hai" Bua ji said.
(Daughter in law today You have to make something sweet as it is a ritual. Don't make breakfast cooks will make it)

"Ji. Par Bua ji kitchen kaha hai?"
(Ok. But aunty where is the kitchen?)

"Aa mere peeche"
(Follow me)

She showed me the kitchen and I made kheer. I knew in the house only my husband and his siblings lived but due to wedding there were many of his relatives present. Everyone was sitting on the big sofas arranged in the hall of living room with my husband sitting on king like chair. Covering my face with ghunghat as there were elder men, I served everyone kheer and got gifts and blessings.

"Bhabhi kheer bohot acchi banayi hai" Aarambh said and I nodded through my ghunghat.
(Sister in law it's so goooodddddd)

"Haan bhabhi. Aap toh sabse acchi kheer banati ho. Haina bhaiya?" Sakshi asked my husband.
(Yes bhabhi. You make the best kheer. Right bhaiya?"

"Haan acchi bani hai" he replied in monotone and elders around us started laughing.
(Yeah it's good)

Next was my muh- dikhai in which many ladies saw my face through ghungat, praised me and gave me gifts.

"Wahhh bhabhi aapko kitne saare gifts mil rahe hai" Sakshi said and I could feel her through ghunghat being awestruck. She was truly so cute.
(Wowww bhabhi you got so many gifts)

"Tujhe bhi milege jab Tera time aayega" Bua ji said to her and all other women laughed.
(You will also get it once your turn comes)

||यह आँखें बस ढूंढें तुझे
नजाने क्या चाहे
पर जब भी तू पास हो
नजाने फिर क्यों अँखियाँ चुराये||