Chapter 16

The evening was peaceful. I was sat on a chair in my bedroom while Cami made two fishtail braids in my hair. She lived relatively close to me, four to five minutes away. I was out on the porch entertaining Tyler's WhatsApp group chat when I glimpsed her strolling down the road with her cousin, Kurt. She decided to stop by and we endulged in some girly conversations before she offered to braid my hair for the coming event. She had a hard time taming my curls but she did a great job in the end.

She decorated both braids with small, ocean-blue, butterfly snap clips from my accessory box. After she was through I stared at myself in the mirror with awe.

"Let's do yours now," I joked staring at her freshly done, silk pressed hair that swayed in her back.

"My hairdresser took care of mine. Believe me, it's a relief for another two weeks," she chuckled lightly.

"So, have you chosen your outfit as yet?" She questioned.

I had told her about the luncheon I was invited to but didn't go into too much details about the real reason why I was looking forward to it.

"Not yet."

I proceeded to my closet and digged up a bunch of clothes until I found a black bodysuit and a blue skinny jeans then tried them on. Mom had told me that it was a laid back luncheon and there was no need for formal wear.

"Eyyy, that's super cute," she smiled. "Even got a little curve around the back," she hyped up.

"Pfft," I snickered.

"I'm serious," she said.

"Thank you to my mom then," I smiled.

"Okay, slay!" she remarked in a high pitched voice.

"Thank you to my mom as well," she said doing a 360.

She was thick in the back with well-defined hips and a little extra weight around her tummy. She had gorgeous, doe, brown eyes and a button nose.

"I'm sure Malik thinks so too," I teased.

"He's taken," she blushed.

"Doubt it. Like you said, you haven't seen his supposed significant other for a while now. Which reminds me to ask him, but of course not outright," I replied.

"Well, I'm sure if Jaxon wasn't dating Ava, you'd be a handful for his eyes," she now teased.

My face immediately turned red and a smile broadened my lips at the mention of his name.

"You still like him, huh?" she speculated.

"No. He's alright," I painfully denied.

After Cami had left I went downstairs to help mom in the kitchen. Dad's car pulled up in the driveway and I greeted him with a warm hug when he arrived inside. He was exhausted from a long day of work and crashed on the couch instantly. Dinner was served a few minutes later and we sat around the dinning table and enjoyed a lovely dinner after joining hands in prayer.

The next day arrived quickly and I woke up in a good spirit excited for the afternoon event. Mom informed that the luncheon commenced at 2pm and that I should be ready by 1:30pm. She didn't forget the last event we were invited to when I almost made us late because I was dozed off thinking about a specific person. Yes. Jaxon.

Tyler had video called me while I was getting ready and refused to stop teasing me.

"This might be the first time I'm seeing you wear jeans," he pointed out.

"I didn't know you pay attention to me that much," I replied spraying myself with watermelon perfume.

It reminded me of the watermelon air freshener that I smelt in Jaxon's car.