16. Education

I awoke in a hospital bed with the usual tubes and lines. I immediately noticed that I could move around and there was no pain. To the usual disapproval of the staff, I removed my NG tube. The TPN and regular IVs were infusing. As always, I wondered how long I had been asleep. I looked up as Dr. Hithlin entered. "Eleven days," he announced without being asked. "There was some spinal damage. For a couple of days, you lost all reflexes in your legs, but your MRI yesterday showed a completely intact spine and cord." The doctor uncovered my feet and took something I didn't see from his pocket. A moment later, a sharp prick at the bottom of my foot caused me to draw my leg up. "Normal," he pronounced, "good strength, too." I should have been expecting what he did next, but I was still a little groggy. He drew something up the soft surface of my other foot and I jumped, pulling my foot away. He smiled and made similar comments regarding this leg. "I'll have the physiotherapist assess how well you can stand and walk." He called in a nurse to help, stopped the IVs, and pulled the central line.

If I were any other patient, I probably would not have seen PT until much later or the next day, but as his Excellency's companion, things were different. Rela, the physiotherapist, was in my room within ten minutes. Standing wasn't difficult, but walking was harder than I expected. I tired rapidly, and my muscles were trembling after only a few steps. I was pleasantly surprised to find Rela spoke passable English. She helped me back to bed and warned me not to try to walk without assistance. She came back a few minutes later with a walker. She adjusted the height according to my measurements and had me stand with it to confirm the fit, and then showed me how to use it. After lunch, I was feeling stronger, and I eyed the device with some contempt. She had left it out of reach. After all, I was supposed to call for assistance. The bathroom wasn't that far, I decided. I pushed myself off the bed and to my feet, and then leaned on the bedside stand for support. I reached across to the rail that ran along wall. It wasn't that far to the bathroom, but with each step, the distance appeared to grow greater. It seemed that each time I went to lift a foot, some invisible imp had added another sandbag to the top. By the time I was near the door, I was sheathed in sweat, and far from certain I was going to make it. A dark shape filled my peripheral vision and I was swept off my feet.

"As non-compliant as ever, I see," Vailas observed with a trace of annoyance in his voice. He placed me back in the bed and pushed my call button. He took hold of my face with his gauntlet forcing me to meet his eyes. "You will call for assistance." He said something to the nurse as he passed her in the door, but I couldn't catch what it was. She made me use a bedpan. Dr. Vailas did not return that day, nor did I see him the next, and I had to wonder what was going on to create his dark mood.

"I'll inform his Excellency that you are ready to be discharged," Dr. Hithlin told me. I fell asleep while waiting, and odd dreams pursued me. I awoke with their vaporous tendrils still clinging. The stories were just out of reach, but the melancholy feel remained. Even the brilliant sunlight pouring through the windows could do nothing to dispel it. I got up and moved around my room. My legs were not up to a mile hike yet, but they were serviceable. Something took the light away and I looked up. Perhaps it was the veil of the forgotten dream, but Vailas seemed more formidable than usual. My heart sped up and my stomach felt strange. The full gamut of emotions played through me in rapid succession making me cold, then hot. Vailas extended his bare hand and kissed my cheek with his fingertips. My skin tingled at his touch.

"How are you, my dear?" he asked softly.

"Well, Sire," I answered succinctly.

"I think it's time you came home."

"I would like that," well, at least he doesn't act like he's angry.

When I was dressed and ready, he escorted me up to the roof. I was stunned by the warm, scented air that greeted me. Then I remembered that it was April, and the sun was awakening the life in the soil. The realization of how much time I had lost rent an unpleasant space in my middle. I sighed. Vailas heard me.