chapter III

As a few days passed by, Evelyn never heard from her fiance. He never came to the Marquess' estate.

"Alright that seems to be a good sign," she smiled to herself as she walked through the gardens.

Not until she saw a maid running towards her. "My lady!" she quickly strides to her, stopping just in front of her to pant. "Your fiance has arrived!"

What?

She rubbed her temples but quickly sighed. "Tell my fiance that I'm sick and I can't afford to meet anyone right now"

The maid confusingly asked, "Why, my lady?"

"Don't ask questions, please do as I asked."

The maid quickly bows and nods, "Yes my lady" hastily walking back inside the estate.

"I know he's the prince but I can't afford to have my deathflag raised suddenly," she mutters to herself.

"Deathflag? What does that mean, fiance?" A voice uttered behind her.

Her eyes widened, slowly looking back to turn to the voice.

"I-" she quickly curtsied, "I greet the empire's prince."

"You may rise," he smirks, quickly taking her hand to land a small kiss.

She slowly raises, hasitantly glancing at his eyes.

"He's far more beautiful than they said," she thought, observing his black hair with blue undertones, his eyes were a dark red.

"My lady, may I ask what you were muttering about?"

"It's nothing my lord, there are just a lot of things in my plate right now."

His eyes narrowed down at her figure, but he quickly replies, "Your maid told me you're not in a good condition," there was a quick stop in between his words, "Is it true, my lady?" he utters.

"I..y-yes, your majesty, I've been under the weather these past few days, I didn't think you'd visit.." she quickly makes up an excuse, quickly coughing in the end of the sentence to add a dramatic effect.

He steps closer, slowly putting the back of his hand to her forehead. He hummed, "Is that so?" He smirks, "My lady, are you perhaps lying to your fiance right now?"

She quickly retorts, " it's not that!- I just.."

His eyes were still narrowed at her. Proving his suspicion correct. It was true that she lied.

"I was very nervous, your majesty –i didn't know I'd meet you on an unexpected day."

He sighs.

Did he just sigh at me?

"Right —of course," he answered, now seemingly disinterested.

There was a short silence looking over the two for a few seconds before he finally decided to break the silence.

"Then, I must leave." He continues, slowly turning his back on her. "We'll meet again, fiance." He had a small smirk on his face as he left.

As he leaves, Evelyn quickly sighs.