BABAR VI

The sun hung low over the stadium, casting long shadows across the practice field where players from the Indian and Pakistani cricket teams were mingling. It was a rare moment of camaraderie between the arch-rivals, and the air buzzed with the sound of laughter and banter. Babar Azam, captain of the Pakistani cricket team, stood a little apart, his eyes trained on a familiar figure—Virat Kohli. 

Virat, always the centre of attention, was surrounded by his teammates. Rohit Sharma, the captain of the Indian cricket team and Virat's best friend, had his arm draped casually around Virat's shoulders, and the two were laughing about something. Babar's eyes narrowed as he watched Rohit and Virat. He felt a sharp pang of jealousy, a familiar feeling that he had grown accustomed to over the years.

"Why does Rohit always get to be so close to him?" Babar thought, his jaw tightening. "I should be the one making him laugh, holding him close."

His thoughts were interrupted by the sight of Rizwan and Shadab, his own best friends, approaching Virat. Rizwan playfully nudged Virat, who responded with a wide smile, while Shadab clung to Virat's arm, chatting animatedly. Babar's jealousy flared hotter, his heart thudding in his chest. He clenched his fists, struggling to keep his composure.

"Even Rizwan and Shadab can't keep their distance," he mused bitterly. "Why does everyone want a piece of him? He's mine. They don't understand."

Babar's possessive thoughts swirled around his mind like a storm. He recalled the secret moments they had shared—stolen glances, hidden touches, and whispered words of love. In public, they had to maintain the facade of mere professional respect, but behind closed doors, they were each other's world. Watching Virat with others felt like a betrayal, even though he knew it wasn't fair to think that way.

"Vi is too busy with everyone else to even notice me," he thought, his heart aching. "Does he even miss me the way I miss him?"

Babar's eyes followed every movement of Virat's, each laugh and smile directed at someone else feeling like a dagger to his heart. He wanted to march over and pull Virat away, to demand his attention, to remind him of their bond. But he knew he couldn't. Not here, not now. Instead, he stood rooted to the spot, his jealousy festering inside him.

Rohit said something that made Virat throw his head back in laughter, and Babar felt a fresh surge of anger. He imagined himself in Rohit's place, imagined how it would feel to be the one making Virat laugh so freely. But all he could do was watch.

"He should be here with me," Babar thought, his gaze darkening. "Not with them."

As the practice session wound down, Virat finally glanced in Babar's direction. Their eyes met, and for a brief moment, the noise and chaos of the field faded away. Babar saw a flicker of something in Virat's eyes—recognition, affection, maybe even an apology. It wasn't enough to quench his jealousy, but it was something.

Virat gave him a small, almost imperceptible nod before turning back to his teammates. Babar's heart lifted slightly, but the possessiveness and jealousy still gnawed at him. He knew they would have time together later, but right now, he had to play his part.

As the players began to disperse, Babar forced a smile and joined his team, trying to push down the turbulent emotions inside him. He knew he had to be patient, but it was getting harder with each passing day. Watching Virat with others was like torture, but he would endure it. For Vi, he would endure anything.

"I'll have you to myself soon," Babar thought, as he walked away. "And then, you'll see just how much I need you."

The day continued, but Babar's thoughts remained with Virat, each moment apart a reminder of the love and jealousy that defined their secret relationship.