The Final Decision

Anna and Michael sat in stunned silence, the echoes of Tom's final words reverberating in their ears. The café around them seemed to blur as they struggled to comprehend the gravity of what had just transpired.

"He... he had a gun," Anna whispered, her voice trembling.

Michael nodded slowly, his mind racing with disbelief. "I can't believe this is happening. We never meant for it to come to this."

Anna looked at him, her eyes filled with fear and regret. "What do we do now, Michael? We can't just walk away from this."

Michael shook his head, his thoughts a jumble of confusion and panic. "I don't know, Anna. I don't know."

They sat there for what felt like an eternity, grappling with the harsh reality of their situation. They had thought they could outrun the consequences of their affair, that they could find a way to start anew. But Tom's desperate act had shattered that illusion.

"We have to go to the police," Anna said finally, her voice hollow.

Michael hesitated, his mind racing through the potential repercussions. "Anna, are you sure? What if they..."

"What choice do we have, Michael?" Anna interrupted; her voice tinged with desperation. "We can't just ignore this. We need to tell them everything."

Michael nodded slowly, knowing she was right. "Okay. Okay, we'll go to the police."

They gathered their things in a daze, the reality of their situation settling like a heavy weight on their shoulders. As they walked out of the café, they felt the weight of judgmental eyes upon them, their guilt laid bare for all to see.

The drive to the police station was filled with tense silence. Anna gripped the steering wheel tightly, her knuckles white with fear. Michael stared out the window, his mind a whirlwind of regret and uncertainty.

When they arrived, they were ushered into a small interview room, the stark white walls closing in around them. A detective entered; his expression unreadable as he took a seat across from them.

"Please, tell me what happened," the detective said, his voice calm but authoritative.

Anna and Michael exchanged a hesitant glance before Anna began to speak, her voice shaky as she recounted the events of the evening. She told him about the threats, about Tom's anger and pain, about the gun.

The detective listened intently, asking probing questions as they recounted every detail. When they finished, he sat back in his chair, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"This is a serious matter," he said finally. "I'll need to investigate further, but in the meantime, I'm placing both of you under protective custody for your safety."

Anna and Michael nodded numbly, their minds spinning with the implications of what lay ahead. They had hoped that coming clean would bring them some semblance of relief, but instead, they found themselves facing an uncertain future, their lives forever altered by their choices.

As they were escorted to separate rooms to await further questioning, Anna and Michael exchanged a fleeting glance, a silent acknowledgment of the tangled web they had woven. They knew that whatever happened next, they would have to face it together, bound by the consequences of their actions.