33 | A trust

THE MORNING SUN FILTERED through the grimy windows, casting long shadows across the room. Nyssa emerged from her quarters, fully dressed and rejuvenated, her mind clearer than it had been in days. As she walked into the main room, she noticed everyone seated around the table, each face etched with a mix of concern and contemplation. The usual hum of morning conversations was absent, replaced by a heavy, tangible silence. Her eyes scanned the room, noting the absence of Kael.

''Where's Kael?'' She asked, breaking the silence.

Tarry looked up, his face grim. ''We tied him up in one of the spare bedrooms,'' He said, his voice flat and devoid of emotion.

Nyssa felt a pang of anger mixed with sadness, but she pushed it aside. She needed to see Kael, to understand, to get answers. She made her way to the bedroom, her footsteps echoing softly in the quiet house. When she opened the door, she found Kael sitting on the floor, his hands bound in front of him, his eyes staring vacantly into space. His weariness was palpable, a shadow that seemed to cling to him like a shroud. Yet, the moment she entered, his gaze snapped to her, unwavering and intense.

She knew he could have freed himself from the ropes if he wanted to; the fact that he hadn't spoke volumes. ''I want to talk to you,'' She stated, her voice blank and emotionless. She reached down, grabbing him by the arm and pulling him to his feet.

The group at the table stirred as they re-entered the room, but a single, steely glare from Nyssa kept them in their seats. ''We're going to talk outside,'' She said firmly, leading Kael out of the house and into the crisp morning air.

The world outside was a stark contrast to the tension inside. Birds sang their morning songs, and the sun bathed everything in a soft, golden light. Yet, the somber mood between Nyssa and Kael remained unbroken, a palpable tension that hung in the air.

They walked a short distance from the house, finding a secluded spot beneath a gnarled old tree. The leaves rustled softly in the breeze, providing a gentle, whispering soundtrack to their conversation. Nyssa turned to face Kael, her eyes hard and searching.

''Why did you hide it?'' she asked, her voice low but intense. ''Why didn't you tell us who you really are?''

Why had he told them he was a Leutenant in the Firelord's army, instead of the truth, that he was his son?

Kael's eyes never left hers. ''Would you have trusted me if I had?'' He asked quietly. ''I needed you to see me for who I am, not the legacy of my father.''

Nyssa's gaze hardened. ''And who are you, Kael? Tell me about your home life. What was it like growing up as the Firelord's son?''

Kael sighed, the sound heavy with memories. ''It was... suffocating. My father is a tyrant, ruling with fear and cruelty. I was expected to follow in his footsteps, to embrace his ideology. But I couldn't. I saw the suffering he caused, and I knew I couldn't be a part of it.''

Nyssa studied his face, looking for any sign of deceit, but found none. ''Did you ever plan to betray us?'' She asked, her voice a mix of steel and vulnerability. ''And don't lie to me.''

Kael's eyes softened, his expression earnest. ''No, Nyssa. The thought never crossed my mind. You and the others... you gave me a place to belong, a purpose. I would never betray that.''

Nyssa's heart ached with a mixture of relief and residual doubt. She took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. ''I trust you,'' She said finally, the words feeling like both a release and a promise. If she were to trust her instincts, then she would start with believing Kael.

At her words, Kael's face transformed. A smile spread across his lips, slow and hesitant at first, then growing into something radiant and pure. It was a smile that seemed to light up his entire being, chasing away the shadows that clung to him. It was the most angelic smile Nyssa had ever seen, a beacon of hope and sincerity that touched her deeply.

In that moment, she saw Kael not just as a comrade or a warrior, but as something undeniably.... beautiful. His smile was a balm to her wounded heart, a reminder that even in the darkest times, there could be moments of light and grace.

And with that realization came a sense of calm, a quiet acceptance that perhaps, just perhaps, they could all find a way to move forward together, stronger and more united than before.