Chapter fifteen

"I would give her anything,

even the last bit of myself."

Raelyn

"Angel!" His voice broke through the silence, rich with relief and concern. I'd just stepped out of the dark cave, my senses still adjusting, but he was already there, waiting for me.

Before I could comprehend what was happening, strong hands grabbed my waist, pulling me into a firm embrace. His chest was solid and warm against my cheek, and I melted into his grip, my hands instinctively climbing up his back, feeling the reassuring muscles beneath his shirt.

"I am fine!" I said, chuckling softly to ease his worry.

"What happened in there?" His voice was tense, eyes scanning me for any sign of injury.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the gem, its once brilliant light now dimmed. As I held it out to him, I could still feel waves of energy pulsing under my skin, but unlike before, it no longer made me feel weak. Instead, it was invigorating.

"It just played with me a little bit," I replied with a smile, trying to downplay the encounter.

"As much as I'd love to sit and listen to your conversation, the night is coming," Lysandra interjected, her tone heavy with exhaustion. She looked like she had fought a battle herself, shadows under her eyes and her posture slumped.

On the way home, I couldn't help but notice Ezekiel. He seemed strangely drained of energy, his usual vigor muted. As I studied his face, I was struck anew by his extraordinary beauty. It was almost otherworldly, each feature perfectly sculpted. He caught me staring and smiled, a warmth spreading across his face that made my heart skip. Embarrassed, I turned my head away, feeling the heat rise to my cheeks.

I often lost myself when looking at him, forgetting the presence of the others, forgetting the weight of our mission. We had just found the second gem, an achievement that should have had my full attention, yet all I could think about was him.

When we had put a considerable distance between ourselves and the mountains, Ezekiel and I teleported, leaving the others behind. The transition was disorienting, and I looked around, trying to get my bearings. We were in a dense forest, the trees towering above us, their leaves whispering in the wind. In front of us stood a massive building, ancient and solemn, more a temple than anything else.

"Where are we?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper as I took in the sight.

"Temple of Ancestors," he replied. The gravity in his voice made me fall silent. I opened my mouth to ask more, but then I understood. This was where the gems were kept, the heart of our quest.

When we reach the entrance of the temple, Ezekiel stretches out his hand, and waves of magic sparkle from it. A loud sound reverberates through the air, and then the massive double doors creak open, allowing us to step inside.

"Only you are allowed to come in here?" I ask, looking to my right and staring at him.

He steps closer, bending his head to be at the same height as me. He gently tucks a strand of my wavy hair behind my ear, his gaze locking intensely with mine. My body reacts to his touch, a shiver running down my spine, almost demanding more.

"Only we can get in here," he murmurs, his voice low and intimate.

Curiosity flows through my veins like a river out of control, and I want to know more. But before I can ask, a strong warmth almost burns my palm. I nearly drop the gem because of the sudden heat, the bright light flaring up with such intensity that I feel like I might go blind.