Chapter 10

I carefully nurtured my newborn kits, fiercely protecting them from all potential threats. No other cat was allowed near our den, and I made sure to chase off any intruders, maintaining an affectionate and protective attitude only towards my kits. After four moons had passed, my kits were finally strong enough to take their first steps. 

Feeling slightly cautious but completely aware of the surroundings, I nudged them out of the den for the first time on a warm day. I knew I had been overly cautious by keeping them in the den until they were two moons old, but now I finally gathered the courage to let them explore. "Wow, twhis iws swo cwool!" exclaimed Aleu in a high-pitched voice, leaping up and down.

 I knew that Aleu had trouble speaking... It was a rare condition in kits, and I felt a wave of sadness. I knew that he wasn't normal, but it didn't stop my love for my baby, "It's not bad," Milo attempted to sound nonchalant. "I find it a bit scary," Chloe whimpered, seeking refuge behind me. "Don't worry," I reassured them, smiling at their reactions.

 "Mommy's always here. Just stay close when you pla-" Before I could finish, Aleu darted off into the distance, and Milo abandoned his attempt to act cool, chasing after her. I let out a sigh, keeping a close watch and remaining ready to protect them from any potential danger. Chloe stayed beside me, her eyes warily fixed on her adventurous siblings. 

As I watched Aleu and Milo play and explore, I reflected on my own upbringing and how my own father had guided and protected me. It was heartwarming to see my kits exhibiting the same curiosity and excitement that I had once felt. Despite my initial apprehension, I still was wary of the dangers. After some time, Aleu and Milo came back, their breaths heavy with excitement from their little escapade.

 Chloe, emboldened by their return, had started to explore farther away from the safety of the den. I observed the two of them settle down outside the den's entrance before turning my attention to Chloe. Concerned, I walked over, gently grasped Chloe's scruff, and guided her back to the den. "So, anyone hungry?" I inquired with a warm smile. 

"Yes!" Aleu exclaimed eagerly. Chloe nodded in agreement, and Milo chimed in, "I could eat." "Alright, everyone inside the den," I directed, ushering them inside the den. "Now, stay put and don't wander, okay?" I reminded them before setting off to hunt for food. After a few tense minutes, I finally spotted a small mouse darting across the forest floor. 

The dappled sunlight filtering through the canopy above created a mesmerizing dance of light and shadow as the little creature scurried about. In that fleeting moment, the world seemed to stand still, and my senses were utterly focused on the delicate dance of the woodland creatures. As I swiftly crouched to grab it, my heart was jolted by the piercing sound of my kits' terrified screams echoing through the woods. 

The mixture of fear and urgency in their cries sent a shockwave of panic through me, and in a heartbeat, I was dashing back through the underbrush to my precious young ones. As my paws pounded against the earth, every fiber of my being was consumed by the overwhelming need to reach my kits and ensure their safety.

 The dense foliage blurred by in a whirlwind of greens and browns as I raced back, my breath coming in ragged gasps, and my muscles burning with exertion. I swerved to a stop once I saw a fox inside the den, my kits screaming had stopped, and its maw was bloody. I yowled with internal agony, breathing heavily and narrowing my eyes. With every ounce of strength I could muster, I propelled myself forward, driven by a primal instinct to protect my own.

 I snagged a hold of its scruff as I held onto its back, my claws raking it harshly. The fox yelped, shaking its body. I slipped from my grip, landing on my back. The fox made an attempt to bite my throat, but I quickly scrambled back, ramming a severe kick in his face. 

The fox flew backward, whining in pain before scurrying off into the distance. I quickly flickered my gaze to my dead kits, my aggression shifting into sadness as I sprinted inside the den, eyeing their bloody bodies. It was all my fault..

 I should have never left them alone, I should've found a new home before hunting... There must've been something I could've done. But now, my kits were lifeless. As I stood there in shock, tears streamed down my face as I realized I hadn't made it in time to save my precious kits. 

But then, out of the silence, I heard a faint cough coming from one of my limp kits. It was Aleu. His tiny body trembled as he whimpered in pain, and my heart ached at the sight. Moving quickly, I rushed over to him, trying to soothe him with my trembling voice, "Shh, it's okay, Mommy's here. You're going to be okay," I whispered, my own voice filled with pain and desperation.

 The lump in my throat made it hard to speak, but I fought back the tears as I tried to comfort my struggling kit. I gently licked the blood off of his wounds, feeling a sense of relief that at least one kit had survived. This experience taught me to be extra cautious, and I made a vow to myself to never let anything happen to my precious kit.

(Sorry if everything is going too fast. I'm just tired today. Did a lot of things tbh... It isn't going too fast right?)