3- The Sword on the Wall

⚠️⚠️warning⚠️⚠️
This chapter contains PTSD and mentions of self harm/ suicide. If this might trigger you or make you uncomfortable DO NOT READ. Reader discretion is advised.

Sanemi awakes the next morning with his head pounding. He lets out a groan as he sits up, a hand running through his hair. Standing, Sanemi stretches, his back making a popping sound as he does so. He pulls on a pair of hakama pants, he debates on pulling on a kimono but he ultimately decides against it.

Sanemi walks into the kitchen. Sanemi begins to start cooking porridge for breakfast. He moved over to make some Tamagoyaki and string bean gomaae. At the same time he begins to brew coffee.

Sanemi hummed softly as he worked, pouring porridge into the bowl Kanae had made for him and a bowl from the cabinet.  He tops both bowls with the Gomaae and placing the Tamagoyaki on a small plate for both him and Tomioka. He grabbed a coffee mug, he poured a cup of coffee before he paused.. frowning.

Does Tomioka like coffee? If so does he like black coffee?? Sanemi doesn't have milk or sugar. He places the bowl and Tamagoyaki on the metal tray. He walks down to the guest room. He knocks on Tomioka's door.

Sanemi waits a moment and when he hears no protest he opens the bedroom door. Tomioka is laying on the bed asleep. His eyebrows are knit and his face seems sad.. almost. His cheeks seem to be almost tear stained. He frowns, he places the tray on a small table beside the bed. He turns to examine Tomioka further.

His hair is a mess, his eyes and cheeks are puffy and flushed, Sanemi reaches a hand out and touches Giyuu's cheek. Giyuu leans in softly and Sanemi's hand quickly returns to his side. His face heats up and he turns and leaves the room.

Quickly, sanemi returns to the kitchen, making sure to close Tomioka's door softly on his way out. Sitting on the counter, rather carelessly, sanemi eats his own breakfast. Washing down the porridge and Gomaee with his black coffee. As the coffee runs down his throat sanemi is filled with warmth.

'Ah' he thinks 'what the horrors one war does to someone' sanemi can't help but think how funny it is that nowadays his anger issues are... mostly gone. He figured it probably to do with the fact that since he now can't kill demons, he has no reason to encourage himself to be angry with everything. In fact these days he finds himself more...... sad.

A frown grows on his face, when had he found himself so sad? Sanemi's three fingers on his right hand twitched and he looked at his hand, missing two fingers. Thinking of the memories of his time in the demon slayer corps, his time fighting demons, his time with Kanae, Genya. Since when did these memories make him...... sad...?

Sanemi's hand was shaking so much he had to put his coffee mug down. The sudden realization of this internal sadness made Sanemi sick. Hadn't he just been happy moments ago? Was he? Had he ever been happy, was his happiness before built on anger, now was it built on sadness?

"Oh" Sanemi's head snaps up to see Giyuu, his black hair is messy around his pale face, in fact the dark hair seemed to be almost tangled. From the look of his face it was obvious to Sanemi that he had been crying the night before. Sanemi wants to say something, ask if he's okay maybe, but the expression on Tomioka's face tells him he shouldn't. Tomioka, unlike sanemi, has gone through the actual trouble of getting properly dressed. He stands awkwardly in the doorway "good morning Shinazugawa"

"Good Morning" Sanemi clears his throat afterwards, suddenly forgetting his emotional realization from earlier. "You sleep good?"

"Did...?" Giyuu frowns slightly, considering the question. He brings the dishes in his hand to the sink and nods. "Yes, I suppose I did"