Meeting Mr. Archer

As the butler takes in the woman's appearance, a bit of shock and amazement comes across his face. However, he quickly recovers and a netural expression returns.

"May I help you, Madam?" The butler asks.

"Yes, I was wondering if the lord of the house is here?" She smiles.

The butler nods and allows the woman into the foyer.

"Please wait here. I will let the lord know a guest is here." The butler gestures for her to take a seat on a bench.

*****

Cecil hears a knock on his study door.

"Come in." His voice calls out.

The butler comes in with his hands behind his back. Once he is close enough to Cecil's desk, he bows. He then stands up.

"Sir Archer, you have a lady here to see you." The butler announces.

Cecil looks up from his book in braille, one of his fingers still on the word he was tracing.

"A lady? A lady here to see me? What does she look like?" Cecil ask.

Never once in his life has he been visited by a lady, except his own mother. But.. A lady? Here to visit him?

"She didn't give me a name. She is dressed in white, a straw hat with flowers, black hair, and blue eyes." The butler describes the woman.

Cecil thinks about the description of the woman. He isn't sure if he should let her see him. Many people don't pay him much mind. In fact, many advoid him. Especially, ladies. But, here, is a woman to see him. Plus, by the description the butler gave, the woman sounds quite lovely. But, there is that fear in the back of his mind: What if.. What if once she sees him, sees his pale lifeless eyes, she will turn the other way and run.

The butler sees the conflict within Cecil. The older gentleman sighs. He has known Cecil since he was a child, he knows the young lord very well and what he is thinking.

"Sir, may I please offer my oppinon?" The butler asks.

"You may, Mister Ezra." Cecil looks down at his hands as he thinks.

The butler, Ezra, walks to Cecil's side and puts a hand on his shoulder.

"In my oppinon, I reccommed you seeing her. She seems like a lovely, kind, woman. You might not have something like this again, Sir. I will be in the room if you need help." Ezra offers.

Cecil nods. He is right. This could be the only time someone pays him a visit. Especially, a woman's visit.

"Very well.. See her in, please, Ezra." Cecil says as he tidied his desk.

*****

The butler, Ezra, returns to the woman in the foyer. She looks up at him with a kind expression.

"Madam, the lord of the house would like to see you." Ezra says with his head slightly bowed.

The butler helps the woman up the stairs. Carefully holding her hand.

"Is there anything I should know before I meet him, Sir?" The woman asks the gray haired gentlemen.

"Yes. My lord is quite diffrent from other gentlemen, Madam. You see.. He is.. Blind." Ezra looks at the woman with sympathetic eyes.