10

the next day, you woke up from a nap to a loud knock on your hotel door. feeling groggy, you groan as you sit up, wondering who the hell could it be. you trudge to the front of the room, each step an effort.

you wanted nothing more but to fall back asleep, even though it was late afternoon. you rub your eyes as you undo the latch and yank the door handle.

it's joão.

"what are you doing here?" you start to feel a little more alert. joão couldn't help but think how cute you looked all sleepy and cozy in your pjamas.

"i'm taking you out," he says plainly.

"like, now?" you say stupidly. he laughs.

"no, next week. i drove all the way to tell you in person."

you slap his arm. "oh, shut up." you step aside to let him in. "i guess you'll have to wait for me to get ready."

"oh god, im gonna be here till midnight, aren't i?"

"you won't be alive at midnight if you keep yapping," you threaten jokingly, head disappearing into your closet. you pick out a skirt and a nice top and walk over to the bathroom door.

"where are you going? just change out here," joão says playfully. he couldn't stop flirting even if he tried.

"oh yeah, i'm sure you'd love that," you say before closing the bathroom door. once you come out in your new outfit, hair neatly done and makeup applied, he gives a low whistle of approval. you give a little spin in your skirt, playing along.

the air feels a little different when you're with him now, with yesterday's events shifting the mood slightly. it feels all too fast, and you're not sure whether its good or bad. joão senses your energy and takes both your hands in his.

"hey," he says gently. "we can slow things down a bit, yeah? we don't have to do anything but hang out," he assures you. you nod.

"so, where are you taking me?"

"you'll have to wait and find out."

ᡣ𐭩 •。ꪆৎ ˚⋅

joão's car pulls up to a large building. when he opens the door for you, you find that the entire place is devoid of people, besides the staff. you could see bowling, darts, mini golf, an arcade, even an escape room.

he had rented out the whole place for you two for the day, so no prying eyes and curious looks could mess with your time together.

your eyes widen in excitement as you race towards the bowling alley.

"ready to lose?" you grin cockily, testing the weight of a bowling ball in your hands.

"i should be asking you the same thing," he says.

you spend hours trying out all the games, and (much to your dismay) lose every round of the basketball game in the arcade.

"no fair!" you groan when joão's score is the highest, once again. "you have a basketball hoop at your house, don't you?"

"nope." he shrugs. "just pure talent."

you pretend to throw a ball at his face and he flinches, laughing.

when both of you are spent and hungry, joão drives to another 'surprise' for dinner. you get a private booth, tucked away from the rest of the tables. you enjoy a nice candlelit dinner, admiring the way joão looks under the dim, warm glow of the flickering light.

when your plates are cleared away, a waiter arrives with dessert. it's a heart shaped chocolate cake. you 'oooh' in admiration. joão hands you a knife to halve the cake and you oblige. halfway through slicing, the knife meets something hard.

you part the cake to reveal a little capsule in the centre.

"what is this-" you fish out the capsule and joão gestures for you to open it. you shoot him a puzzled look as you twist it open. a folded paper note lies inside. you unfurl it and read the words.

will you be my girlfriend?

your face breaks out into a grin as you lock eyes with a smiling joão, a pink blush tainting his cheeks. the cake is long forgotten as you make your way around the side of the booth to envelop him in a hug.

"of course i will," you murmur softly into his hair as he holds you.

[ author's note ]

more social media to come next chapter now that yall r officially tg ☝️