Hard to love

⋆ ˚。 ⋆୨♡୧⋆ ˚。 ⋆
AEREA
I stepped into the carriage with Helaena. We were going to the Dragonpit together, to take Dreamfyre and Aegarax for a ride together.

It rarely happened, because Queen Alicent didn't always allow Helaena to go outside of the Red Keep. But luckily, she did today.

I was talking with Helaena, catching up about everything that had happened in King's Landing during my absence.

Apparantly, Aemond had turned very closed-off since the accident with Luke and Helaena barely had any friend since Jace and I departed.

I felt bad for her. Helaena had never known any place beside the Red Keep. A golden cage, rarely anyone to talk to, except Queen Alicent. Though, their relationship was a scarred one. No matter how hard Alicent tried to get close to Hel, she didn't understand her.

The only comfort Hel had during those lonely times, were her bugs and embroidery.

Though I felt lonely sometimes, I realized it was not near the pain Helarna had experienced all these years.

"We should meet up more." I told her. "I'd like to have some company, I rarely spoke to anyone since my arrival."

Helaena smiled slightly. "We should."

The carriage stopped and we headed inside the caves of the Dragonpit, with torches in our hands. I found Aegarax, his beautiful white scales reflecting the fire from my torch. He turned around and made a hummed.

"Rytsas, Aegarax." I said as he went still, to let me climb onto his back, feeling the cold, textured feeling of his scales beneath me. When I got on, he automatically walked towards the exit of the caves.

I saw Helaena, already taking off into the air. "Sōves." I said, moments later we took off into the air. Feeling the wind flowing through my hair, the ground disappearing beneath us.

We flew away from the Capital, leaving all of the schemes and plots there. A temporary escape from my own schemes, with the two beings that were most important to me right now, Aegarax and Helaena.

Though I've only written to Hel the past years, I still felt the urge to make her happy, just like I always felt about the people she cared about. She was one of my dearest friends, so I felt a pang of sadness ripple through me when I realized that I had to betray her at some point.

When the Greens wanted to usurp her mother, she couldn't expect Helaena to leave her family behind. And telling her what I was planning, could be dangerous. There were ears everywhere in the Keep, and if anyone heard of her plans, it would be considered treason and I'd be punished.

We landed on a field near the woods. I climbed from Aegarax' back and sat down, leaning against him. Helaena did the same.

She wondered when Heleana would have to marry. She was of age, after all.

"Hel, are you betrothed to anyone."

"Mother says I'm to marry Aemond when after your wedding."

It wasn't surprising. You didn't have to tell anyone that Alicent wanted to look after her daughter, marrying her to Aemond was the best way to keep her at home.

I did feel bad for her, Helaena would aways be locked in the Red Keep. A gilded cage, but a cage nontheless. But Helaena seemed to care about Aemond, and we'd have eachother as friends.

"Do you love him?" I asked her.

"Yes. But in a way a brother and sister should love eachother. Not in a romantic way. Not at all."