Prologue

Since our family has existed, many, many centuries, the story has been told of the countess. She was infatuated with her horses. Each of her descendants and even her husband loved the gentle creatures. And one fine day, she found this old book. The countess took it and guarded it like a treasure. But one day she was unable to see it again. Day and night she was plagued by the question of what secret it was keeping. So she broke the magic seal. And she let go and unwittingly revealed magic. One night she left her husband and children. She took her most faithful horse. Without having it saddled, she rode into the forest.
When her husband woke up the next morning, the first thing he did was look for her in the stable. He noticed that a horse was missing. And he decided to look for her in the forest. But he was unsuccessful. Weeks and months passed. Not a word about her beloved reached his ears. Until one warm autumn day, one of his children brought the book to him. He had found it at the edge of the forest. That's how he found out about soul horses. He set out to find his soul horse to bring his beloved wife back. But he failed and on his deathbed he passed this task on to his children. And they to their children. So that one day his wife would appear again....