Chapter 5🌺

The ride to the hospital felt like it would never end. I was terrified that if we didn't get there in time, it might already be too late. The long wait in traffic made it even worse, as each passing minute intensified my fears. What illness does he have? How long has he been silently suffering? Why didn't he tell me? These questions flooded my mind, bringing momentary sobs. Joshua, on the other hand, did his best to calm me down, though we both knew nothing he did could truly help.

When we finally arrived at LABH, I practically leaped out of the car and ran inside, with Joshua close behind. I frantically asked the receptionist about Elias, and she directed us to the ward he was on.

We found Japeth pacing in the hallway. He looked up as we approached, his expression bleak but relieved. "Sere, I'm glad you're here. Elias almost lost his life a few moments ago, but now he's stable."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I processed his words. "Can I see him?"

Japeth nodded. "Follow me. He's three rooms down."

When we reached Elias's room, I saw him lying on the bed, hooked up to various machines. His face was pale, and he looked so fragile.

I stepped closer, feeling a sob rise in my throat. "Elias, I'm here," I whispered, taking his hand gently.

Joshua stood quietly by the door, giving me space but ready to support me however he could.

A few minutes later

As I sat by Elias's side, praying silently and hoping he'd open his eyes, the door creaked open, and a female doctor entered the room. She smiled gently and walked over to me.

"Excuse me, are you Serenity?" she asked softly.

I nodded, standing up and trying to compose myself. "Yes, I am."

"I'm Dr. Cohen," she said, extending her hand. "I've been taking care of Elias since he discovered his condition. I know you have a lot of questions surrounding his health and I'd like to answer them. Could we speak for a brief moment?"

Nodding in agreement, I followed her to a quieter corner of the room. There was a small section with a desk and chairs, making it the perfect spot to talk.

"Elias has spoken so much about you," Dr. Cohen began. "It's clear how much you mean to him."

I swallowed hard, trying to keep my emotions in check. "How... how is he really doing?"

Dr. Cohen sighed, her expression turning more serious. "Elias has Acute Leukemia. It's a type of blood cancer where abnormal white blood cells rapidly multiply and crowd out healthy blood cells. His body has been struggling to respond to treatment, and unfortunately, with the way things are progressing, he has approximately seven months left to live."

Her words felt like needles piercing through my skin, and I felt the room spin for a moment. "Seven months?" I whispered, tears flooding my cheeks.

Dr. Cohen nodded, "I'm so sorry, Serenity. I know this is incredibly difficult to hear. I also know that Elias hadn't told you about his condition, even after I encouraged him to. He didn't want to burden you with this."

"How could he hide this from me?" I mumbled to myself.

Dr. Cohen gently placed a hand on my shoulder. "He cares about you deeply. He thought he could handle it on his own, but now more than ever, he needs the support of those he loves. My best advice is to spend as much quality time with him as you can. Make these moments count."

I nodded numbly, "Thank you, Dr. Cohen, for being there for him, when he didn't allow me to."

She gave my hand a comforting squeeze before leaving the room. I stood there for a moment, trying to gather the strength to face what was happening. Finally, I turned back to Elias, who was still unconscious, before leaving his room. I then made my way over to Japeth who was sitting outside with josh.

"Japeth," I called softly. He looked up, very much concerned.

"What happened? Why are you still crying? did the doctor say anything to you?" Josh questioned, leaving his seat.

I didn't answer him directly but one look from me told him all he needed to know. Everything was far from okay.

"Why didn't you say anything, Japeth?" I asked, my voice breaking. "You knew he was sick, why didn't you tell me? why now when he's at the brink of death!?"

He opened his mouth to speak, but before he could answer, the dam broke. I sank to the dirty floor, sobbing uncontrollably. Josh crouched down beside me, encouraging me to get up but nothing mattered. My clothes could be replaced but Elias couldn't.

Japeth then crouched down as well, "I'm so sorry, Sere. He made me promise not to. He didn't want to worry you. He thought he could beat it."

I cried even more, my sobs echoing in the hallway. The pain was almost too much to bear. How could he ever think that he could do it all alone? No matter what happened I would have supported him. I've been doing it for four years, what made him think I couldn't now?

Disclaimer: With the fact that my book includes references to leukemia and its treatments, please note that artistic liberties have been taken for storytelling purposes.

Thank You All for Reading, I Really Appreciate It.

#Road To 400 Reads

Don't Forget to Vote, Comment & Share.