Chapter 1 🌺

Serenity 's POV

Waking up to birthday wishes from everyone except my boyfriend was the last thing I expected, especially since today marks the anniversary of the day he officially asked me to be his girlfriend. Of all the changes I've seen in his behavior, I would have never imagined this day would come, but I guess you really never know. Elias used to be the very first to wish me a happy birthday or remind me of special occasions, no matter where he was or how hectic work and his classes had gotten. If my friends had done the same, I probably wouldn't have felt this bad-but boy, does it hurt when he does it.

'Lord, please provide me with the strength and understanding I need because I honestly don't know why my relationship seems to be slowly but surely falling apart,' I quietly prayed, hoping that despite everything, we still have a chance to mend whatever might be broken when he finally makes time for us to. At this point I'm still trying to figure out what exactly went wrong.

I do understand that all relationships are tough, especially Christian-based ones, but after four years together, I thought Elias and I had built a solid foundation. Strengthening and being there for each other would be our number one priority, but with the way he acts now, it's starting to bring about... serious...doubts. My best friend Josh would say he's probably cheating with a co-worker, and it might seem like it, but I know him too well-or at least I think I do; he wouldn't do that, so something else must be going on that he's not talking about, or maybe he simply wants to break things off. Those are what my doubts are.

He has never ever been horrid or a jerk to me and he made sure his intentions were loud and clear from day one when he approached me. According to him, he liked how serious I was about my relationship with God and 'he knew when I opened my mouth, that I was the one'. It took some time for him to convince me since he wasn't exactly what I had in mind. But as time went on, I started to see all these amazing qualities in him that I never expected. Qualities I wanted my husband to have. He had this unique way of making me feel special, like I was the most important person in the world. He would listen to me ramble on about my day, my dreams, my deepest fears, and he would hang on to every word like his life depended on it.

Sometimes I'd just wonder if he'd ever step up and ask me to marry him because it sure doesn't seem like it anymore. The sad thing about it, is that it has always been my dream to one day walk down the aisle, wearing a stunning white dress, with my prince charming waiting at the end, a smile on his face that says, "You're the one I've been waiting for."

Delusion or what?

He's been busy drowning himself in work and nothing but work which is quite unhealthy. He eats, sleeps and breathes work. I'm really happy and I'm seriously like his biggest cheerleader. Becoming a neurosurgeon takes hard work and dedication and I commend him for accomplishing his goals, but I want him to realize and trust that I'm here for him and will help in any way possible; he just has to let me back in, like he use to do.

"Sere!" My mother's voice echoes through the hallway as she gently taps on the door to my room. "Come and have something to eat before you head off to work," she states, bringing back memories of how tardy I was in my teenage years. It's been nearly two years since I last heard her voice calling me out for breakfast, and it felt really good.

Yesterday, after a tough day at work, I was so surprised to find my mother waiting for me at my doorstep. Nothing stopped me from giving her one of the biggest hugs, I've ever given to someone. I really missed her or let's just say with all that had been going on I really needed a hug, her hug.

"I'll be down in a minute," I shoot back, still knee-deep in my routine prayer sesh. When it comes to all my worries, especially with the whole relationship or marriage thing there's only one being I can really count on - God. He's like that ride-or-die friend. And just like Psalms 46:1 reminds me I know God's got my back as he's always there to give me strength and swoop in when trouble comes knocking'.

Thanks a million for giving my book a chance. I really do appreciate it....

Don't forget to vote, comments and or share.