19. Silk and Gunshots (iv)

Attention!
**Delilah's POV**

The click-clack of my navy blue Scarpin heels echoed off the decaying walls as I closed the door to our bedroom, walking past the doors that once haunted my mind but had now become my only sanctuary in the building. Stepping out of the metal gate that guarded those rooms, I locked it behind me, the click resonating in the silence, and continued to catch up with Ashton and the girls accompanying us to today's event.

My breath hitched as my thoughts wandered. Ashton hadn't revealed much about the event; all I knew was that it was something huge and greatly important to him. The girls had begged me to find out more, fearing the worst, which had resulted in a busted lip and a fresh bite mark on my shoulder, rekindling old memories that only brought a rueful smile to my face. 

I suppose that's what happens when you resign yourself to fate—when you accept that this is all reality has to offer and there is no escape. A crinkle in your expression is all that forms when you realize that this is how it is and how it will be until death finally catches up to you. It's not a nightmare or a game; there's no exit button, no option to quit when you've had enough. This is reality now. It's normal now. It's what you have to wake up to every day for the rest of your miserable life.

It is what it is.

It is what it is.

It is what it is.

My breathing hitched as my mind started to close in on me. Subconsciously, my right hand slithered towards my shoulder, fingertips grazing the taut white fabric covering a gruesome bite. Tears pricked my eyes before I released a breath I didn't realize I was holding, loosening the painful grip I had formed around the wound. Thankfully, it was covered by a dressing that probably needed changing. Otherwise, the dress would've been ruined, and Lord knows what the consequences of that would be, I didn't even want to imagine. 

I caught up to the group of girls gathering on one side of the lobby downstairs, Ashton on the other side conversing with two guys I didn't bother looking at. The lobby was brightly lit, with shadows dancing along the walls, dispersing an intrusive atmosphere. Some voices quieted to hushed whispers as their faces turned toward me, murmuring their mumbo jumbos and judgements. Their eyes flickered with curiosity and unease, the tension in the air almost palpable. With my eyes fixed on Ash, I stood waiting for him to see me before I continued moving through the crowd. His steel grey eyes met mine briefly before turning back to the matters at hand.

The rest of the girls continued their conversations, their expressions marked by frustration and confusion, their voices rising and falling in an unintelligible hum. A few turned to me, offering tight-lipped smiles that conveyed silent support and understanding before returning to their discussions. Their gestures, though small, provided a semblance of comfort, reminding me that I was not entirely alone in this ordeal.

Grateful for not being the centre of attention—knowing all too well how that feels—I edged to the side of the room, seeking solace near a less crowded wall. The room seemed to close in around me, the weight of the oppressive atmosphere pressing down. I felt a sense of claustrophobia beginning to creep up on me, the walls appearing to inch closer as if threatening to engulf me. 

I felt someone's gaze on me and looked up to find sharp green irises focused intently on my face. Amy walked toward me, dressed in a rich burgundy gown that wrapped around her curves perfectly, falling to her ankles with a teasing slit on the left that trailed up to her upper thigh. The dress was adorned with a ruffle lining the neckline, and her platinum blonde waves cascaded down to the small of her back. Paired with matching high heels, she looked breathtaking.

Amy had changed significantly over the years since we first met. She had grown into a beautiful 26-year-old woman, leaving her dirty blonde bob cut and youthful habits behind. My eyes travelled to the dainty anklet adorning her left ankle, then to the delicate ring on her right finger that glinted under the stingy white lights falling from the ceiling. Her transformation was remarkable, and seeing her now, straight-backed with confidence and poise, filled me with a mix of admiration, nostalgia and fear for the rest of the night.

Amy - (image from Pinterest)

"Hey, Darla

"Hey, Darla. You look like you're about to faint. Are you alright?" Amy asked as she came to stand before me, concern softly etched into her features.

"Amy," I addressed her, releasing a breath as a bit of calmness seeped into my chest. "Yeah, I'm okay. Just got a little cla—"

"Claustrophobic?" she finished for me, her brows slightly raised in question.

I nodded, rubbing my clammy palms against my thighs as I averted my gaze, focusing on anything but her concerned eyes. I could feel my cheeks tinting with embarrassment.

Her thin fingers coiled around my wrist as she started walking further down the lobby through a maze of bodies, pulling me along. I watched my step, not wanting to ruin anyone's dress. "Jeez, Ames. Whenever it's you, there's always pulling involved, isn't there?" I teased, a hint of a smile playing at the corner of my mouth. She turned her head towards me with a slight tug at her lips and a roll of her eyes. We continued weaving through the throng of people until we found ourselves in the girls' bedroom, expansive except for two series of bunk beds along the walls. A few girls were scattered in the room, fixing their looks, but otherwise, it was empty.

I breathed out a sigh of relief, stretching my arms as if I had been cramped in a tight space for hours. "Thank you," I offered.

"You're welcome, darling," she smiled back.

"You look—" she started, stopping as I mumbled, "You look—" at the same time. A light chuckle bubbled out of both of us. I continued, "You look magnificent, Ames," my eyes crinkling with adoration. A light frown fell over me as I added, "Please be careful."

"Thank you, Darla. And yeah, you too, always," she softly pleaded, a distraught glint in her eyes that she quickly brushed away. Leaning back and putting her index finger to her lip, she ran her eyes down the length of me as if deciding if I looked good enough. She chimed in, "You don't look too bad yourself," a playful smile dancing at the corner of her eyes.

"Why, thank you! I'm truly honoured to receive such a compliment from a goddess like you." I bowed, continuing our playful banter. Just as I saw the words forming on her lips, a hush fell over the crowd outside, making my skin crawl and our smiles fall, as Ashton's voice boomed,

"Time to hit the road, ladies."