Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

Ch. 5: Desperation

Kris

Fucking hell!

There couldn't have been a worse time to run into Bethany. After the stunt she pulled sending me nudes on my birthday, I had blocked her.

Not that it would put an end to misery because come Saturday, I would have to unblock her again. If I didn't, she'd create a scene at my parent's house like she did last time. And I didn't want my quality time with my family to be ruined.

Lately, it had turned into a twisted game where she would cross a line, and I would block her for a week or two. Normally, she knew that things would blow over because of our families, so she didn't react strongly.

However, the crazed look she had in her eyes as she shot daggers at Ashley had me worried.

"What the fuck Kris?" she shrieked, turning a few heads in our direction.

"Can you stop shouting?" I hissed, looking around us. "Walk away, Bethany. I have had enough of your drama for this week."

Her scowl deepened, contorting her whole face. "I'm causing drama? What are you doing?"

I folded my arms across my chest. "What am I doing besides trying to live my life peacefully?"

"Bringing her into our relationship," she said, pointing a finger at Ashley. "She's basically my clone. A cheap one at that."

Before I could say anything, Ashley scoffed and inserted herself in the conversation. This was not going to go well.

"Excuse me? That's a stretch," Ashley drawled as she eyed Bethany in the same condescending manner Bethany looked at others. Being on the receiving end of that look clearly didn't sit well with her because her face turned red in rage.

"I thought your personality would compensate for your looks. Clearly, I was wrong. Bless your heart. Life must be so difficult for a poor thing like you," Ashley cooed, pasting a pitiful smile on her face. "A little self-awareness would help. Just saying."

"You bitch, I'll—"

"That's enough!" I yelled as I stepped in front of Ashley, shielding her from my crazy ex.

I would like to believe Bethany wouldn't resort to violence but these days, I couldn't be sure what she was capable of. She had proved me wrong more than once before.

Bethany reeled back. "You are going to pick her over me?" she asked.

Sighing, I ran a hand over my face. I was so tired of this. Going back and forth with her on the same topic every time was sucking the life out of me.

I raised my hands in exasperation and turned to Ashley, embarrassed that she had to witness all this. "I'm so sorry. I don't have words to convey how sorry I am. You shouldn't have to—"

She placed her hand on my arm, giving it a gentle squeeze as she smiled at me. "It's okay, Kris. You don't need to apologize or explain anything,"she said and looked over my shoulder before squeezing my arm again. "Good luck with that. I'll see you around."

She stepped back and turned to leave. As I watched her walk away, rage like never before consumed me. I whirled around and clamped Bethany's hand.

"Come with me," I gritted out of clenched teeth as I began pulling her in the direction of the parking lot.

Once we got there, I let Bethany go. "What the fuck is your problem?"

I was mad. I was fucking mad and yet, guilt weighed on my chest when I saw her wince at my loud voice and rub her wrist where I'd held her. Fuck.