21. Stormy knight

Elora POV:

Heavy black leather boots thudded across the room and Dan's shouts echoed through the air, his rough voice unmistakable to my ears.

Hands grabbed my bound wrists up, I wiggled trying to escape and a weak cry of protest barely made it past my lips. Their fingers maneuvered around the ropes rapidly, yet so softly as if trying not to hurt me.

What was happening? My mind was in a spiral. Had Castiel arrived, were we saved? I was terrified to look up and realize this was nothing but a fragment of my imagination.

"Shh, I am here. You are safe," My heart trembled as I recognized that deep male voice.

"Lio!" I gasped and my head rapidly spun to him. I winced as the rapid movement caused me a headache. I was met by his handsome face, cold as ever, those stormy eyes of his scanning each inch of me. At that moment, I had never been more thankful to see someone in my entire life.

"They hurt you," His sharp jaw ticked, and the rage burning into his eyes made the amber flecks within them shined brighter.

"I-I.." I tried to form words, but only hiccups escaped my lips. More tears rolled down my face, and my sobs got louder. I felt relieved, the nightmare was over.

"I will make them pay, darling," Aurelius promised. His palm cupped my cheek and his thumb softly brushed away my tears.

Before I could stop myself, I threw my arms around his neck and buried my face in his wide chest. His scent invaded my nostrils and it almost worked as a tranquilizer. The tension in my shoulders loosened and my heartbeats calmed down. I felt as if nothing could harm me.

"Delphine..." I cried out. As I attempted to turn to look for her, Aurelius's hand gently held my face against his chest.

"She is taken care of," He whispered, his low breathy voice sending tingles across my skin. I nestled even deeper into his embrace and I nodded. I never trusted anyone as much as I trusted him right now.

I felt a soft fabric draped over my exposed back, and his arm encircled my shoulders drawing me closer to him, as his other arms slid under my knees. Aurelius effortlessly lifted me in the air and started walking. My eyes closed and my head rested in the crook of his neck. All I wanted was never to go back to this room, ever again.

A door was opened and after a few steps, he sat down on what I presumed to be a bed or a couch. My grip on him tightened instinctively, I did not want to let go.

"Can I... can I stay like this for a bit longer?" I uttered in a choked whisper.

In response, he tightened his arm around my shoulders and gently rested his chin on the crown of my head before he slowly nodded.

"I was so afraid... I-it was all my fault. I thought... I thought-" My words dissolved as I burst into tears. My body quivered as all the events from just minutes ago replayed in my mind.

"Look at me, Alma," he said, fingers running through my hair. I looked up at him and my eyes widened as I noticed crimson droplets were splashed across his face.

"What's that?" I stammered, and my trembling hand instinctively reached out. However, before I could touch him, his fingers swiftly encircled my wrist. Heat rose to my cheeks in embarrassment as he gently placed my palm on my thigh.

"Nothing you need to worry about." He said and calmly tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

Suddenly, my heart leaped to my throat and my hand instinctively grabbed Aurelius by his arms as I heard loud footsteps outside. Did they come back? What was happening?