Keeping Secrets: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I smiled to myself as I walked up the drive to the house. In all my 316 years of living with the Buckley family on the island, this house had been the only stable thing and I had grown to love this house more than life itself. It wasn't massively big, but was big enough to give each family member their own bedroom, ensuite bathroom and study. My bedroom is the only room that the other vampires aren't allowed to enter, it is decorated with items from my human life and even though Ophelia was my best-friend before we changed I still wanted my previous life separate to my new.

"Yo, yo! Ania!" A swirl of dust encircled me and Tobias landed lightly on his feet in front of me. He was back early from the hunt and for a minute I questioned it but then remembered his extraordinary power of being able to fly. He could shift into any type of bird at the drop of a hat and was very good at spying on people.

"Tobias, please don't do that!" I laughed and he grinned at me. I know he's my brother but I can't help but find him attractive. He brushed my curly hair behind my ears and grinned as my eyes turned black. I shook my head laughing, trying to shake off my lustful thoughts towards him.

A vampires eyes are a dead give away when a vampire is either hungry, attracted to someone or angry. I felt his cool breath on my neck and it was painful as the turquoise shots tried to fill the black space. I really wanted to taste his blood and him to taste mine. I think that would be the equivalent of kissing but its so much more intimate.

"Uhm Tobias?" I whimpered. He winked at me and took a small step back. I shook my head again and laughed before chasing him up to the house. The others should be back now.

Before we even reached the door, it swung open and Ophelia stood there with furious fire-red eyes. She ran off into the woods without even giving me or Tobias a second glance. Viktor sighed and sent a telepathic message through to her. It was on a private wave so I couldn't interpret it properly, I could hear his voice just not the words. There wasn't a reply so I gave up and followed my brother into the house.

Viktor stood still at the door staring into the distance obviously using his amazing vision. I understand his concern. Ophelia is powerful and can injury vampires quite easily which is fairly difficult to do. As long as she stays on the island, she shouldn't kill any humans which was Viktor's priority. He hated killing them for fun.

"Ay, what's going on?" Tobias thought quickly. His eyes drifted towards Viktor to see if he heard the message. I shrugged my shoulders, too scared to send something because my telepathy is stronger and could reach most vampires within 3 miles. Ophelia is the most temperamental out of us all, the slightest thing could change her mood for days so I wasn't so worried about this sudden disappearance. Viktor's eyes narrowed and he turned towards us quickly putting all his vampire reflexes to good use.

"She wants to find her mate, I told her she isn't stable enough yet, she's angry." He sent to us both. We nodded understanding and Tobias followed me to my study.

My study was one of the biggest rooms in the house and had plenty of room for a large bookcase, a desk and computer, a 3 seater settee, two beanbags and a kitchenette. It was more like a flat than a study really which was the main reason my siblings liked to hang here with me.

 "Cup of tea?" I asked my brother who politely declined with a shake of his head. His eyes followed me round the room before he eventually beckoned me to take a seat beside him.

"I can understand why Phel is annoyed with Viktor. I mean we were allowed to leave but I guess it's her own fault for never learning to control her power!" I said softly. Tobias nodded in agreement and cleared his throat as if to speak.

"Yeah I totally agree but I still haven't found my mate, it's alright for you!" His emerald eyes sparkled but I could tell they were filled with disappointment. Filled with guilt, I wanted to tell him about the lie I was living but I had to think more about Julius than myself. His parents now were actually his human parents before and they are very strict about the whole banishing your children until they find their soulmate. Viktor and Iona are a little more laid-back when it comes to following the rules and have told us all that we have plenty of time to find our mates but our lives won't feel complete until we do.

Not wanting to answer any further questions about soulmates I forced myself to yawn. "I'm gunna take a nap I think, I'm pretty tired after all that hunting so, yeah, see you later Tobe." I said in-between yawns hoping he got the idea that I didn't want to talk anymore.

Finally alone in my room, I sent a message to Julius telling him how difficult it is to lie to my family. I didn't get a reply so hoping he was asleep I pushed further into his mind, reading his thoughts. I walked around Julius' mind for a while until a door appeared so I opened it and walked through..

.. He's stood talking to me on the beach. He is telling me he loves me and I am in his arms. He kisses my head gently and I cry into his shoulder..

He's dreaming about our rendezvous at the beach earlier, only it's different to how I remember it. I love walking into other peoples minds especially their dreams. I can walk around like a ghost and hear their private thoughts. It's always clearer when people unintentionally send their thoughts but I can still understand most thoughts even the weak ones. Wait. Did Julius just tell me, well imagination-me, he loves me? Oh dear, he can't love me. He's my bestfriend and we aren't soulmates or anything. Or are we?

I've decided. I need to leave Vahm Island and find my real mate.