Keeping Secrets: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Tobias, I'm starving and being around all this fresh, warm, human.." I stopped myself as I realised I was drooling slightly. I rolled over to see a Tobias-shaped hole in the bed. I sat up quickly and glanced around the room. It was empty. I muttered a few obscene words to myself before pulling on my jumper. It was around -2 degrees, I wasn't cold but questions might arise if I wander the streets with only a vest top on.

I probed the surrounding area to see if he was around the hotel but found nothing. I wasn't scared about being alone, just less than a month ago I was stalking the beaches and killing humans. I was worried about Tobias. He wasn't old enough to go out alone to find his soul mate and it's my job to keep him safe and from killing recklessly.

I pushed open a window and slipped out. The cold air tingled as it hit my skin and it was refreshing enough to wake up all my senses. I shook my head as a violent shudder pulsed through my body.

I was hungry but now after four hares or rabbits, i'm not sure the difference, I felt full and regenerated. I hadn't fed since killing that man and that had been nearly a month ago. I needed punishing and to starve yourself is the best way. I started to walk back to the hotel.

It was a friday night and it seemed that the pubs had kicked out the drunks as they were all congregated along the streets and alleys. A few of them shouted things at me that i found quite insulting but laughed it off. The few that were brave enough to walk up to me were soon stumbling away after one look at my fangs and midnight coloured eyes.

"You is rock solid!" I shouted in my mock chav accent as I walked past them all cowering away into corners.

When i reached the hotel window, I saw a person shaped shadow walking around. Relief washed over me and I smiled to myself. I climbed back into the room to see a girl sat crossed legged on the bed. She grinned at me mischievously and held out her hand. Surprised and confused, I shook it.

"I'm Evelin." She smiled at me and went back to changing the television channels. "Oh, I'm uhm Ania." I stuttered back. She chuckled and nodded towards the bathroom. "I know, Tobias told me."

She didn't even seem scared and she looked fairly young to be out at night and alone in a strangers hotel room. I called Tobias telepathically and he strolled back into the room after a few minutes. I shot a look of anger at him, my eyes becoming a dark void. He chuckled lightly under his breath.

"That's Evelin, she's my new friend," He said smiling at the girl. "She's like us." he added quickly when he saw my expression changing from angry to furious. She turned and smiled at me making my anger wash away.

"You're a..." I paused with my eyes wide. She nodded without emotion and whispered the word 'vampire.' I turned to look at Tobias and sent him an apology. His eyes twinkled and he grinned at me.

"Okay, now you've met my sister we can go out." He said hopefully with a hint of boredom in his voice. He glanced at me as he held out his hand to the girl who was jumping-with-excitement. I bit my lip to stop myself from saying anything as a pang of jealously hit me hard. He was the one who didn't want us to be labelled as brother and sister anymore. The hotel room door banged shut leaving me feeling empty inside.

**

"Julius, I'm sorry okay, I just couldn't lie anymore. Ophelia was angry because I had a soul mate and she didn't. Viktor won't let her go out alone because she can't control her powers. She'd kill a human if she touched them. I know I've probably caused you a lot of problems with your parents and I know you've probably been banished from Vahm Island. I hate to think you're all alone, just because we're not soul mates doesn't mean that I don't love you. You're my best-friend. You should already know that me and Tobias have gone to find our mates. It's scary. I didn't even have time to say goodbye to you or Ophelia. I know you can hear this but probably can't answer because we're too far away. Promise me this, tell my family if you can that we are both okay, me and Tobias that is, and will you meet me in 4 days in the Westside town. You need to take the Inglanden ferry, I can give you telepathic directions when you've arrived. Thank you Julius."

It was the longest telepathic message I've ever sent and feeling completely drained, I curled up on the bed and cried myself to sleep.

**

When I woke there was no sign of Tobias or Evelin. It was early morning and the sun was beaming through the windows. It burnt like fire along my exposed skin and I groaned pulling the covers over my head. I should of really created some form of sun protector last night before I slept but I'd forgotten that we weren't on the island anymore. The sun barely affected us there because it was often cloudy and there was a spell that covered the whole area.

I instantly thought of Tobias, what if he had forgotten too and was being burnt alive somewhere. Then I remembered about the girl. I knew she'd keep him safe, she looked as if she had been a vampire of a long time and she seemed to know the town quite well.

With that, the door swung open making me scream in fear. I heard two people laughing hysterically then the quilt was pulled from my head. I hissed in pain as the sun started attacking me again. Little patches started appearing along arms, legs, head, neck, everywhere that wasn't covered. The room started blacking out as the pain became unbearable. I heard a faint scream from Evelin then everything went dark.

**

"She's not dead, I promise."

I opened my eyes to see the young girl perched on the edge of the bed. She was twiddling with her long red hair and staring intently at a figure sat on a chair in the corner of the room. I started to sit up and saw Tobias sat with his head in his hands, muttering something to himself. I tapped Evelin on the shoulder and she squealed with delight and pulled me into a hug.

"Told you!" She said teasingly looking at Tobias who still hadn't moved from his sitting position. He rubbed his eyes and stared at her then to me and a huge smile appeared on his tear-stained face. I held my arms out for a hug and he stepped forward carefully unsure of how much pressure to apply.

"Was you crying over me?" I chuckled in his ear. He didn't answer just breathed heavily down my neck making me shiver slightly with pleasure. He looked up at me and kissed my forehead causing a ripple of shock shoot through my body. "I'll go out and get some food for us all." he said softly before shifting and flying out the window.

I smiled at Evelin. I really appreciated what she had done to help me. "Thanks." I whispered. She grinned at me and spun herself round, crossing her legs.

"You're in love with Tobias." She bit her lip with excitement as she spoke. I shook my head in confusion. She laughed before saying "I know you are. It's my power, you see, I can read people's hearts just like you can read minds." I stared at her still confused. She seemed to be able to read my heart better than I could. She laughed again, squeezing my hand.

"I won't tell him don't worry but do you want me to read his for you." She reassured me but she had that mischievous glint in her eyes again. I stared at her unsure of how to answer.