CHAPTER 5: Just Blowing Smoke

AMERICA
There was a scale symbolizing his tolerance and it was ticking tantalizingly in the red zone.

It was surprising enough when China had helped silently clean up the remains of Japan's failed Environmentology experiment, and it only got worse when South, appalled, recapped how his brother had actually offered him a pencil — which was technically a trivial thing, but it was acknowledging an existence he normally didn't and North Korea never did anything of the sort. There was also the time where all four of them had held the door open for a nearby Canada and Ukraine, and although Ukraine was a little less stupefied, her boyfriend had nearly hurled his meal right there and then. Muttering about ridiculousness, the information had been relayed to the rest of the group — and then nearly everyone had choked up what they had for lunch.

The worst part was, everything had been done in such a subtle fashion that any nearby students didn't suspect a thing. It was deliberate. It was well done. And it was beyond infuriating.

So then, to America, in drastic circumstances he would take drastic measures. He was confused, yes, but even more so, he was deeply suspicious.

Nearly a decade ago, France had held a young America in her arms and told stories to lull her grudging child to sleep — opening a begrimed storybook about the Napoleonic Wars and recapping the tales within. When she finished, her red-cherry lips slightly chapped, that same motto was one America would hold incised in his mind forever. She had told it to Canada before, and America had preceded Australia and New Zealand. Every year, France would parrot the same story in the same motherly way, and each of her children would leave a little bit more wise.

So when the end of the week had rendered him more than finished with their antics, he decided to put his dear mother's teaching into play.

He strode across empty fields with Poland in tow, incipient fury simmering. When most Representatives chose to remain in the cafeteria and chat for break, Germany, Russia, North and China always finished early to sit in the shade of a tree. Outside. It was like they wanted to get fried to a crisp. Masochists.

"Are you sure this is the best idea, America?" Poland worried. "What if they're just looking to turn a new leaf?"

"They're not that type of people," America chided, and China's head swiveled around as they approached.

"Hi?," Germany asked.

"It's not me, it's him," Poland said, attempting to cover his face with his hands.

"Why are you all acting so nice all of a sudden?" America asked, with the air of a spoiled teenager.

"Oh, he caught on," Russia mocked with a smooth eyeroll.

"I apologize on behalf for his impulsivity," Poland muttered. Germany cracked a small smile.

"I didn't plan on telling you this early," China frowned. "But I suppose it has to be done." His grip on a red folder on the grass tightened. "Then... I suppose you can come over tomorrow after school, and we'll discuss with you then.

"What? It's that serious? Hold on, we're not—"

"We're not going to kidnap you," North taunted.

America's brows furrowed. "I don't know what just happened but no way any of us are coming to your house."

"Actually—" Poland blurted, but America gave a harsh whack to his kneecaps. He stumbled, screaming profanities like a girl.

"You expect us to discuss matters like this in a public space? I always knew you were dumb, but not to this extent," China said plainly.