Chapter 11: Inner Turmoil

THIRD PERSON'S POV [ MINJI ]

The mansion was unusually quiet that evening. Minji sat alone in the dimly lit study, a glass of whiskey untouched on the side table. The haunting melodies of Deftones filled the air, the music enveloping her in a cocoon of introspection.

She wore her headphones, the heavy beats and ethereal vocals of "Change (In the House of Flies)" resonating deep within her. It was a song she often turned to during moments of uncertainty, its lyrics mirroring the tumultuous thoughts swirling in her mind.

Hanni's presence loomed large in her thoughts. Their argument earlier had left a bitter taste in Minji's mouth, a mixture of anger, hurt, and a gnawing sense of betrayal. She couldn't shake the image of Hanni with Jay, the way they had looked together-intimate yet distant, a reflection of their fractured relationship.

As the music swelled, Minji closed her eyes, trying to drown out the chaos of her emotions. She knew she should confront Hanni, demand answers to the questions that plagued her mind. But a part of her feared what she might hear, feared that Hanni's feelings were not as deep or sincere as Minji's own.

The lyrics of the song echoed through her thoughts:

"I watched you change... Into a fly, I looked away. You were on fire..."

Minji's grip tightened around the glass, the cool surface soothing against her clammy palms. She felt trapped between two choices-ignore Hanni's indiscretions and pretend everything was fine, or confront the painful truth and risk losing the fragile bond they had built.

"I took you home... Set you on the glass. I pulled off your wings... Then I laughed."

The words cut through Minji like a knife, a stark reminder of the vulnerability she had allowed herself to feel with Hanni. She had opened her heart, exposed her deepest fears and desires, only to be met with uncertainty and doubt.

Torn between anger and longing, Minji replayed their moments together in her mind-their laughter, their shared confidences, the tender moments that had once felt like the promise of something more. Now, those memories felt tainted, overshadowed by the shadow of Jay and the cracks in their relationship.

"It's like the blind leadin' the blind..."

Minji's eyes snapped open, the intensity of the music grounding her in the present moment. She couldn't continue like this, trapped in a cycle of doubt and pain. She needed clarity, needed to know where she stood with Hanni.

With a sigh, Minji removed her headphones and set them aside. The music faded into silence, leaving her alone with her thoughts and the weight of her decisions.

She glanced at her phone, debating whether to reach out to Hanni or give herself more time to process. The temptation to retreat, to bury her feelings and protect herself from further heartache, was strong. But deep down, Minji knew she couldn't ignore the truth forever.

As she stared out the window, the night sky stretching endlessly before her, Minji made a silent vow-to confront Hanni, to demand honesty and transparency, no matter how painful the outcome might be.

The decision weighed heavily on her shoulders, but she knew it was the only way forward. She couldn't continue to live in limbo, uncertain of where she stood in Hanni's heart.

Minji paced the expansive living room of their mansion, her thoughts tumultuous and unyielding. The echoes of "Change (In the house of Flies)" still lingered in her mind, but now they were accompanied by a deeper confusion that gnawed at her heart.

She had never expected to feel this way-conflicted, torn between anger and a strange, inexplicable longing. Hanni's presence had always been a constant in her life, a reminder of duty rather than desire. And yet, recent events had stirred something within her that she struggled to comprehend.

Sitting down heavily on the edge of the plush couch, Minji stared blankly at the ornate carpet beneath her feet. The image of Hanni, vulnerable and uncertain, flashed before her eyes. She remembered the warmth of their shared moments, the tenderness that had blossomed despite her best efforts to remain aloof.

"Why am I feeling this?" Minji whispered aloud, her voice barely audible in the silence of the room. "I don't love Hanni... I can't."

But even as she said the words, doubts crept into her mind like tendrils of ivy, twisting and tightening around her resolve. Had she been fooling herself all this time? Had she buried her true feelings beneath layers of denial and detachment?

Closing her eyes, Minji tried to push away the conflicting emotions that threatened to overwhelm her. She recalled the fierce determination that had driven her to accept the arranged marriage, the cold pragmatism that had guided her every decision. Love had never been a part of the equation-or so she had believed.

Yet, Hanni had managed to unravel the carefully constructed walls around Minji's heart. Her laughter, her kindness, her unwavering loyalty-each thread had woven itself into the fabric of Minji's life, leaving her ensnared in a web of emotions she couldn't escape.

"I can't love her," Minji repeated, the words tasting bitter on her tongue. She had built her identity on strength and independence, on wielding power with an iron grip. To admit vulnerability, to acknowledge the stirring of emotions she couldn't control, felt like a betrayal of everything she had fought to become.

And yet, Minji couldn't deny the truth that lingered in the depths of her soul. Hanni had awakened something primal within her, something she had long believed dormant and unattainable. The realization left her feeling exposed, stripped bare of the armor she had worn for so long.

With a sigh, Minji leaned back against the cushions, her mind a whirlwind of confusion and longing. She didn't know what the future held, didn't know if she could allow herself to explore the depths of her feelings for Hanni. But one thing was certain-ignoring them was no longer an option.

---