When the going gets good

Two days had come and gone since we had arrived here at the motel. I hadn't stopped watching Chasity from the moment we had gotten here. She always made sure there was an arm length of room between us at all times. It was like she didn't trust me getting too close or maybe she didn't trust herself. She didn't sleep well at night, and took cat naps during the day. I tried to stay out of her way and not make it obvious that I was observing her every move. I took breaks outside in Stella to smoke a joint to take the edge off of the last week. It had only been five days since I had first seen her breaking into my car, but everyday that I spent with her I knew that I never wanted to see her go. The longer she stayed here though the more she was getting very restless. I could see the way she was always fidgeting. She didn't even touch the phone that I had given her to help keep her busy. And even though I wanted to, I didn't ask how I could help. I knew that she wouldn't want it and I think somewhere deep inside of her she appreciated having to do things for herself.

Yesterday, in the heat of the afternoon sun, she had asked me if it was ok for us to take a walk around the motel just so she could move her legs. I was surprised she even bothered to ask me for my permission, Chasity seemed like the kind of girl to just whatever the fuck she felt like. She still seemed lost in the outside world even if she had a fire burning inside her. Almost as if she didn't know how to survive without the confines of the asylum. Chasity didn't know what it was like to be a free woman. And I could see it. I understood it. She had an almost childlike quality and innocence to her, it was hard to imagine her killing a man. It was hot, I liked that she was able to protect herself before I found her. She was not the prey that she looked like and it gave her an edge that was badass.

While we were walking, she didn't say anything as she kept her eyes on the ground. Chas placed one foot in front of the other and kept her hands firmly behind her back as if she was counting her steps in time to a tune in her head. She had changed into the black shorts and black tank top set that I had bought for her when we were still at the hotel. I didn't know if she liked the stuff that I had picked out for her, and if she didn't like them, she didn't let me know. We walked around the motel and I watched her explore the area around her. There was a small alleyway behind the motel with a metal fence that separated itself from the rest of the grassy patch on the other side that then held a highway road further into the city. She stopped to pick up a wishing dandelion and blew it softly before moving on to keep walking forward. And when we finally came to a stop back in front of the black grand prix and the motel door leading into our room, she looked down at the ground for a moment. I thought maybe she had something to say to me, but then she just looked up and said, "thanks," before walking back into the room. I had followed her into the room afterwards.

Now I was sitting in Stella rolling the paper and herb into something I could light.I was still waiting for Animal to call me back. Animal was the man that I got my smoke from. He was a part of the Mafia underworkings here in Chicago. Animal was a hitman and a good business dealer for them. He sold the devil's lettuce on the side to a few clients of his choosing. When I last saw him three days ago, I had asked him if he had heard anything about who wanted me dead. And just like I had hoped, Animal had heard of the hit out on my head, but luckily he liked my business too much to take me out for the money. However, he did tell me that there was talk amongst his people. Animal worked for a family called Parran, Pellegrino Paran. He called himself the Pather, and even though he no longer killed out in the open. He still was known to enjoy the kill being brought to him. And the Parran family ran close with the Alpha Mafia Dog Kameron Colavecchio