Chapter 54 - A Promise to Keep

I woke up when I heard many anklet bells, it was as if someone was running fast

I woke up and sat straight. Looking around, I noticed attendees running here and there. I was confused and saw that I was in Maa-sa's room. I sighed and got off of the bed.

I started to walk back to my room and saw Devika coming, she started walking with me, and I asked her,

"Why is everyone running here and there like this that too early in the morning?"

She smiled and said,

"Katha, they are running because they have to prepare for the Pooja that Bhai-sa organized for you this evening, and it is not early morning, it's afternoon."

I stopped abruptly and looked around in shock, it was indeed afternoon and the sun was directly above my head.

"Why didn't anyone wake me up?"

"Badi Rajmata said not to because you were sleeping peacefully and soundly.",

I nodded and finally reached my chamber and sat on the couch. Both the Maa-Sa's came in and said,

"Get ready fast for the day, we will call Daima."

I furrowed my eyebrows and asked, "Why Daima?"

Choti Maa-sa chuckled and said, "You never wake up this late, what if it is some good news."

I looked at Devika and she was trying to hide her laugh. I gulped and said,

"Sorry to burst your bubble Maa-sa, but me being pregnant is not yet possible."

Their smile fell and Maa-sa said,

"I saw the marks on your neck Katha, how is it not possible? Everything is fine right?"

I sighed and said, "The marks on my neck were Hukum's way of troubling me, and everything is fine don't worry. Me and Hukum have not yet thought about kids so..."

Maa-sa nodded and said, "No problem, maybe the news might come soon. Anyways, meet us for lunch in the hall. We are waiting."

After saying so, the two of them left, and I felt terrible for telling them the truth. It was needed to be told because they might have just had expectations on something that was not going to be true anytime soon. maybe...

I sighed and went into the bathing area to get ready for the day. I took a bath and wore heavy attire along with the new jewelry that Hukum had brought for me.

After I got ready, I went to the dining hall where everyone had gathered for lunch. I was feeling awkward as to how would I face everyone after waking up this late.

I greeted everyone and sat beside Choti Maa-sa who smiled at me. We started eating lunch and after the lunch was completed, Bhai-sa said,

"I want to talk to you about something bacche. Let's go in the garden."