12.5

|| Jago ||

"B-Boss, give them a free private plane and ride? Isn't that too much?! Masyado ka ng ginagamit ng babaeng 'yon!"

Sinindihan ko ang sigarilyo habang nakikinig sa pagrereklamo ng bagong tauhan ko, si Bruno. I took a shot glass on the counter and opened a tequila.

"Just prepare it, make sure there won't be problems."

"P-Pero dad-"

"Bruno, you're at work," pagputol ko sa kaniya at matalim siyang tinignan.

Umatras ang dila niya. Naiiling akong nagsalin ng alak.

Maybe it's a mistake to hire him. I want him to get close to Zalli since he'll take over the business soon. But he's still just a kid. Remembering the report of what he did at the airport is making my blood boil.

This kid.

"B-Boss, it's too much. Kahit na matagal na kayong magkasama sa trabaho, hindi 'yon sapat para tratuhin niyo sa nang ganito. Matapos mo siyang sunduin at ibigay ang lahat, nawala siya ng tatlong araw! Ngayon susulpot siya para humingi ulit ng pabor! Ginagamit ka lang niya!"

Inis kong ininom ang alak bago madiin na binagsak ang baso sa lamesa, dahilan para mapatahimik siya.

"Are you questioning my decision?!" I raised my voice making him flinch.

I heaved a sigh. "Son . . . you don't understand. She's not just a business partner. Sinabi ko na sa 'yo kung gaano na kami katagal magkakilala 'di ba?"

Napakagat siya sa ibabang labi. "W-What? Do you like her as a woman?"

Napangiwi ako sa sinabi niya. "Gago!" Hinagis ko sa kaniya ang baso na agad niyang iniwasan. Nagkalat ang basag na salamin sa lapag.

Napailing ako at malalim na huminga para pakalmahin ang sarili. "She's like sister, no, a brother to me."

Bruno looked more confused. Seryoso akong nakatingin sa kawalan, inaalala ang unang pagkikita namin ni Zalli. I was definitely older than her for more than two decades. I met her when I was on my mid thirties, she's barely ten.

I met her through another merchant. She was always with that merchant, a cunning woman like her. I think Zalli got her personality from that woman.

She was a kid. But not once I saw her act as one.

It was the merchant she's with who I had business with at first. But it was Zalli who helped me get my riches and as soon as she was a teenager, she succeeded her mentor.

Kahit hindi hamak na mas matanda ako sa kaniya, parang sabay pa rin kaming tumanda. Her morals, experience, and knowledge were far superior than mine.

Despite not seeing her often, not being able to talk to her as much, her influences are too important to not feel indebted to her.

"Bruno, matagal na 'ko sa mundong kinagagalawan natin. Mabigat na ang pangalan ko. I've made many connections and enemies . . ." I looked at him. "Doesn't ever crossed your mind, that despite having many enemies, I can roam around freely?"

He was taken aback, maybe realizing it now.

"I managed to build a family, not worrying for mine and your safety. Yes, there are some small pests, but not once a real threat. Do you know why?"

My son remained silent.

"It's because of that woman."

I may not be knowledgeable and experienced like her, but knowing her more than a decade, only a fool wouldn't know . . . that what I'm dealing is, is no human. 

Lumapit ako sa lalaking ngayon ay tulala, pinoproseso ang mga impormasyon na sinasabi ko sa kaniya. Mariin ko siyang hinawakan sa balikat.

"You'll get to know her more. Be kind and open up to her, she'll do the same."

"Zalli is a part of us. Remember that. She'll be your strongest ally when you take over the business . . . treasure her dearly, son."

𓆚𓆚𓆚