Seven

Gabriel had made up a thousand different scenarios in his head during his lonely and depressing nights. He'd imagine them finally reunited as he'd kiss her and embrace her tightly.

That was his most frequent fantasy.

Other scenarios consisted of him on his knees, imploring for her forgiveness. He'd think of the proper words he'd say to her while making an earnest plea for her return home. Kissing her feet and knuckles, and wetting them in the process with his desperate salty tears.

His little fantasies always ended with her agreeing to return, and them finally living at peace and most importantly, in love.

However, this reality isn't at all similar to any of the things he'd imagined. This reality is something he wouldn't have been capable of ever picturing, not even in his wildest dreams.

Because this reality is the worst thing that has ever happened to him. It's a reality where Nathalie doesn't remember him. A reality where Gabriel Agreste doesn't exist in her memories.

Their love story has been painfully erased from her mind, and the taste of this reality is sour and so very distressing.

———

"Have a seat, father. You're looking extremely pale." Gabriel doesn't speak, only lets his son guide him to the sofa in the middle of the living room.

Tim quietly exits the cottage, and Henry is left alone with them. He doesn't know what to say. After all, their presence was so unexpected.

Although, he should've known better. Even if he tried to avoid himself to think about it. Henry should've known not to dodge the thought that one day someone would come searching for her. And now that this day is finally here, Henry isn't too sure on what they should do.

"I know this is difficult for you, but you must know that as a doctor, I believe her amnesia is temporary. We must be patient, she will remember."

Gabriel brings his head up to give the man a displeasing glare. He's sad, yet angry at the same time.

The doctor's words aren't any comfort to his distressed and exhausted soul. Then he examines the doctor for a couple of long seconds. His ruddiness complexion, dark brown eyes, and simple attire show his honesty and genuineness.

But that doesn't stop Gabriel from being angry. He's angry at everyone, especially at himself. If only he'd been honest about their relationship from the beginning, none of this would be happening.

"Why didn't you try to contact us?"

Henry squints his eyes in confusion. He isn't too sure what Gabriel is talking about.

Gabriel then stands up almost aggressively from the sofa. "You were hiding her, weren't you?!" He says in an accusing tone.

"What? No, of course not."

"Yes you were. I can't believe you've been with her for months and didn't try to find her family."

Henry's heart pounds with the horrible sensation of anxiety as he tries to defend his actions.

"I never hid her. All I've done is help her since the moment she arrived at the door of my cottage. I always hoped she remembered soon because that was the only way I could contact someone. She came with nothing but the clothes on her back. What else was I supposed to do?"

"You had many opportunities to-", but Adrien intervenes, not letting him continue.

"Please calm down, father. I think the doctor is telling the truth. We should be grateful that he's taken care of Nathalie and my baby sister these past months. And you heard him, he said she will remember. We simply must be patient."