Chapter 6

The air was frosty, not only from leaf-bare, but from the tension. 

As a clan, we walked united, our pelts bristled against the cold wind. However, our hearts and minds lay apart, separated by cracks that would be hard to mend. Lilypad, once in awhile, tried to make light conversation with Treeclimber, to no success. 

Mistystar walked several tail-lengths ahead of the rest of her clan, her tail lashing ominously so that no cat dared to approach her. Tropicpalm and Yellowbelly talked loudly to each other, as if trying to make up for the uncomfortable silence. Beestripe's flank was pressed against mine and I appreciated the warmth. 

I glanced over to where Stonepaw walked beside Cream, his chin tipped and his chest thrust outwards in silent dignity. Our eyes met and his quickly looked away, not in shame but in disgust. 

I felt my pelt burning, the whole clan must've noticed how icy things were, especially as we were kin. But I wasn't looking for him. I felt my heart lifting hopefully as I saw Berrypaw padding softly through the grass on the other side of Cream. They were in friendly conversation, and no doubt. Cream had saved Berrypaw, when he was a kit, and brought him into the clan. It was impossible for them not to have a connection. 

My mind brought back memories of the meaningful way he had looked at me when I defended Cream. I wasn't an idiot, Berrypaw obviously hadn't like her. But they were getting along now, better than any cat in the clan was. 

Cloudypaw came up beside me, her voice pained, "My paws feel they're going to drop off and my stomach thinks my throat's been clawed out!"

There was a knowing edge to her voice and I looked away. 

She had caught me staring at Berrypaw. 

My sister leaned closer, her breath warm and soothing against my cheek, "Is something going on that I should know about?"

I shook my head a little desperately, "No, I don't know what you're talking about."

She opened her mouth as if she was about to ask more, but, just then Morningflower bounded up beside us. Her pelt was ruffled, but in an excited way, her tail struck straight up despite the wind. I saw, to my embarrassment, other cats glancing at my mentor, eyes narrowed in distaste. 

I caught Treeclimber murmuring, "Are all kittypets like this?"

I felt a sudden surge of disdain for Morningflower and charged towards him, a hiss building in my throat, "How dare you say that? My mentor is as good a warrior as you are! Probably even better!"

Morningflower dashed after me, with Cloudypaw by her side. 

Treeclimber startled, but recovered to growl, "Control your apprentice. Is this how you taught her to speak to warriors? Maybe Mistystar should hear about this."

Shame made my tail quiver; I hadn't meant to cause trouble for my mentor. 

However, I was surprised when she snapped, "Mistystar will not be hearing about this. Because Honeypaw did nothing wrong. What you said, however, is really what Mistystar should be hearing about."

Cloudypaw nodded, her eyes fierce, "Yeah, she earned her place in the clan just was well as you did! You joined much later than her, so it's you, Treeclimber, who should be worried about putting a paw out of line!"

More warriors were staring now but I was too riled. All the anger and worry and tension that had lined my muscles suddenly ached to be let out in a flurry of claws. Horrified, I realised I was longing to see Treeclimber in pieces. 

Mistyclan had stopped walking to wait for us, disapproval shining in their eyes and etched in their fur. Mistystar started towards us and I dug in my claws to stop myself from making things worse. 

She glared at us, "What is it? Mistyclan has no time to waste for sorting out petty arguments."

I burst out, "This isn't a petty argument! He called Morningflower a kittypet!"

Treeclimber rolled his eyes, "Mistystar's right. We shouldn't waste time on this. Besides, in the end she'll just team with Morningflower because she was her apprentice. I ain't ever gonna win this."

Mistystar's expression changed from impatient to furious in an instant and her paw flashed out, cuffing him on the ear. Beads of blood appeared where she had showed her claws, just slightly. I nearly groaned in exasperation. I had been angry, but the leader of Mistyclan should be able to control herself. 

How would this look to all the other cats? 

It would seem that their leader had taken a side, and they must as well. 

Mistystar face was once again calm as she spoke, "We are going to keep walking."

Then she turned, pushing past Lilypad and Fallenleaf. Slowly, the rest of the clan followed, but, this time, there was a lot more discussing. As I walked forward, steps uncertain, I heard several whispers of agreement to Treeclimber.