56. WATCHFUL PRESENCE

It's been two weeks since they've been camping at Mount Yellia.

Sir Hillsman had been training the kids and letting them roam in the nearby forest, though they were hardly permitted to go anywhere too far up the mountains.

"We're closing in on it," Lock assured them as the adults met for the night. "The problem is the monster den right around it. I think I can manage to sneak around it, but then I wouldn't be able to retrieve the necklace."

"In contrast, if we fight it, it would take too long," South said. "The monsters are intelligent. They know that the hidden location is only accessible during golden hour, and thus, they always buy time until it's past. They don't hate us and wouldn't be hostile to us otherwise. They just don't want us to touch it."

It's as if the animals know how valuable it is, even if they can't use it themselves.

"Even then, if the Young Master requests it, we have to get it," Sir Hillsman sighed. "If you need more manpower, Vicross and I could aid you. It's too dangerous that far up for the cubs."

South hummed at that, mildly surprised. Hillsman was so reluctant to scale the mountain when Cale asked him to, but when the time came, he actually had the initiative.

Guess everyone just liked to act a little whiny around the Young Master. His reactions were fun, so South couldn't blame him.

"We can't leave them down here alone either," Vicross said. Telling the kids to fend for themselves is one thing, leaving them completely alone is another. "Whatever the case, the next trip up needs to be the last. I will prepare the supplies."

Well. He certainly volunteered for the role to go up before anyone could protest.

Not that South's complaining. He's Ron's son, after all— he's strong, he's quick, he's reliable, and most of all, as they're camping up there they'll even be able to have warm meals.

(Lock and South's eyes met. If Vicross found out they both were sustaining themselves on rations and raw meat while he wasn't around, he'd probably be furious. So they silently agreed to never bring it up.)

Lock seemed slightly troubled. "I'm sorry. I couldn't handle it on my own..."

"It's nothing you have to apologize for," Hillsman assured. "You're still doing the most important part. But he'll certainly be a great help when it comes to moving fast and efficient. Not to be slight against you, South."

"No offense taken," South lied. He'll probably draw on HIllsman's face when he's sleeping later. "You and Mesh have to take care of the base camp while we're gone. Don't let them bully you too much."

Hillsman grimaced. "Mesh can handle making meals, right?"

-

It's almost terrifying how smooth the climb is with Vicross around.

Though, it may be attributed to Lock and South painstakingly charting out the easy paths in the past fortnight. While Lock and South had to fight off beasts, Vicross pretty much mowed them down before they could get close.

As expected of the original protagonist ensemble. His character qualities are like, a whole other level. Lock would be a bigger deal if Cale didn't give him therapy, but he's already quite a big deal now considering he's so young.

"Can you keep up, South?"

South huffed. He was struggling, but it's nothing too much.

"We've taken too many breaks, you guys go on ahead."

In truth, he was anxious. Perhaps it was because Vicross was with them today, but there was a presence in the distance again.

The same, dragon-like aura far away, yet he couldn't tell where it was coming from— it was watching them again today. South couldn't calm down knowing it was there, even though his instincts told him he wouldn't be attacked.

He was safe, even more so, because Vicross was around.

But the thing watching him was curious, almost annoyed, that they were still here after so long, and South hated that he seemed to be the only person noticing the presence at all. Maybe it's hiding from the other two? Maybe it's just focusing on South specifically?

But why him— ah, probably for the same reason Toonka focused on South.

South definitely felt the oddest. Depending on what South did at any time, he was always the most unpredictable threat in the group. And people who are wise fighters hate when they can't immediately assess an opponent's capabilities at a glance.

South definitely can't fight this one.

Magic-inclined people always act so damn weird about souls that don't look the same as theirs. There's got to be a word for this, are they soulcist?

This is why he didn't want to get involved with Cale Henituse (though he doesn't regret a lot of that anymore). He just didn't want to deal with this at all.

"WHUH?! Vicross-nim!"

Vicross had thrown South over a shoulder all of a sudden.

"You're slowing us down," he simply said, and South groaned, embarrassed. Well, that was true, but that didn't mean he needed to be carried. Ah— the presence!

"Is there something?" Lock asked, when South looked into the distance with a frown.

South spent a moment, vaguely feeling out his surroundings.

"Not anymore."

Well, that was a good thing. Whatever it was, once they're done retrieving the item, South would never have to deal with it ever again, and that thought motivated him to go on the rest of this journey.

"Hey Vicross-nim, you're so tall! It's so cool! I don't get many opportunities to be this tall, so continue carrying me until we're there."

"Don't make me put you down."

-

The presence never bothered them again.

They retrieved the Absorbing Necklace and descended the mountain without any more trouble, and so they made their way back to Cale's side.

South wouldn't encounter that dragon's presence again for a while yet.