19

Alan 

The night of the festivity loomed over the capital like a cloak of expectations and secrets. The streets were adorned with garlands of lights, and music wafted through the air, blending with the murmurs of anticipation. In the palace, preparations were at their peak, with servants and decorators adding the final touches to a ballroom that seemed plucked from a dream.

I stood in my room, contemplating my reflection in the mirror. The wolf mask that would cover half of my face lay on the table. I couldn't help but feel a mix of anxiety and determination. Tonight could change everything.

Yesterday, when we interrogated the man who had been harassing Jeff, we discovered very little.

Flashback

"I only sent them to investigate because something about them seemed odd, and Jeff intrigued me, but I found out nothing. I thought they were probably running away, which is why they left no trace. Besides, that person must be powerful. Jeff would do anything for his brother, and vice versa. So I took a chance and told Jeff I knew that Charlie had offended a noble and that I would report him. I threatened to reveal Charlie's whereabouts, and just like that, Jeff agreed to become my omega. I don't... I don't know anything else. I swear. Well..." said the frightened man.

"What?" Pete asked sternly, gripping his wrist tightly.

"I think Charlie, the older one, has powers. The day I was collecting from them, the day they escaped, he fled when a car came towards us, but... it wasn't real. I don't know what he did or how he did it, but I can assure you we all saw it."

"It seems that the real target of our investigation should be that boy, Charlie. He poses as Jeff's brother, but he is the only one who can give us answers," Pete declared firmly.

"Jung, has the investigation turned up anything about Jeff's companion?" I asked.

"Sir, allow me to show you the recordings. Here you can see how they arrive together at X-Hunter; the younger one waits outside and, after a while, decides to enter. After you followed him, the older one left much later. The next day he returned. Checking the internal cameras, he met with Babe on both occasions."

"Babe?" I asked, perplexed.

"Yes, sir. Other than that, there are no records of him anywhere. He's like a ghost."

"Understood. Keep watching them and notify me of any developments."

"Yes, sir," Jung bowed respectfully.

"Do you think he'll try to approach through Babe?" Pete pondered.

"We need to talk to Babe."

A soft knock on the door interrupted the silence. "Your Highness, Mr. Babe requests an audience," announced a servant formally.

Pete and I exchanged puzzled looks. "Let him in," I ordered with a gesture.

Babe entered with his usual elegance, a mischievous smile gracing his lips. "What's with those grave expressions? I haven't said anything yet," he commented, his lightness contrasting with the tension that enveloped us.

"It's unusual for you to come at this hour, unannounced," Pete replied, his deep voice underscoring the seriousness of the matter.

"It seemed more prudent. There's too much on my mind that I need to sort out," said Babe, approaching and sinking into the sofa with a sigh.

"Prudent?" I inquired, seeking sincerity.

"Yesterday, I met a guy at X-Hunter, he's different, special. I like him, I really like him. And today... today he confessed something to me that I thought you should know," Babe began, his voice tinged with unusual emotion.