1: Connecting Points

Several uneventful days passed, the routine of Echo Outpost continuing without interruption. It was now three days before Crosshair's ceremonial promotion to Admiral at headquarters. Sitting in his office, Crosshair pondered what he should say in his speech, the weight of his new responsibilities pressing on his mind.

His thoughts were interrupted by the familiar ring of his communication console. He sighed and answered the call, expecting yet another routine report. Instead, Jaxa's cheerful voice greeted him.

   "Hey there, soon-to-be Admiral," Jaxa said, her light pink accents glowing softly on the screen. "How's the speech coming along?"

"Still working on it," Crosshair replied, his tone measured. "What do you need, Jaxa?"

"I just wanted to remind you that you need to head to headquarters in two days for the final preparations," she informed him, her playful tone laced with genuine excitement.

Crosshair nodded. "I'll be on my way today. Better to get there early and finalize everything in person."

Jaxa's expression brightened even more. "Great! It'll be good to see you before the ceremony. Safe travels, Crosshair."

"Thank you, Jaxa. I'll see you soon," he replied, ending the call.

With a renewed sense of purpose, Crosshair stood and began organizing his departure. He informed his second-in-command of his plans and ensured that the base operations would run smoothly in his absence.

As he walked through the halls one last time, Crosshair felt a mixture of anticipation and responsibility. The upcoming days would mark a significant transition, not just for him, but for Echo Outpost as well. He was ready to face whatever challenges lay ahead, his mind already focused on the future.

Crosshair boarded the transport to headquarters, his thoughts returning to his speech. It would be a momentous occasion, and he wanted to convey his dedication and vision for the future. As the transport lifted off, he looked back at Echo Outpost, knowing that his leadership would continue to shape its destiny.

In a few hours, he would arrive at headquarters, ready to embrace his new role and the responsibilities that came with it. The journey ahead was clear, and Crosshair was prepared to lead with unwavering resolve.

It was a quiet, uneventful flight. The low hum of the engines and the soft whirring of the ship's systems were the only sounds accompanying Crosshair as he sat in the passenger area. He was deep in thought, reflecting on his speech and the upcoming ceremony, when the silence was unexpectedly broken.

"Hey there, Admiral-to-be. Enjoying the quiet?" came a voice from the cockpit.

Crosshair blinked, momentarily taken aback. He hadn't realized anyone else on the ship would be engaging in casual conversation, let alone addressing him so familiarly. He stood and walked to the cockpit, peering in to see who was piloting.

To his surprise, Vector turned around in the pilot's seat, a grin on his face. "Surprised to see me?"

"Vector?" Crosshair said, his tone laced with confusion. "How in the world are you piloting this ship? Last I checked, you were assigned as a battle medic."

Vector chuckled, adjusting the controls as he spoke. "Got my flight license sooner than expected. So, I figured why not take the opportunity to fly you to headquarters? Thought it might be a nice change of pace for both of us."

Crosshair shook his head, a mixture of amusement and bafflement crossing his features. "I'm not sure if I should be worried or impressed."

"Go with impressed," Vector replied with a wink. "It's a smoother ride that way."