Chapter one

I pulled the glasses off my face and wiped the blood off the lenses. 
You see, seeing through blood was not easy. 
I smiled and looked down at the mutated body that used to be Mr. Green. 
The white little bastard had been bothering me for ages now and it had been time for him to go. 
Pass into the next life, if you will. 
I dipped my finger in the blood and drew my signature mark on the cobblestone next to the man.  
A smile. 
Because you were never fully dressed without one! 
I stood up and grabbed the axe from the alley floor, and started my walk home. 
New Orleans was not usually a cold place, but tonight a slightly chilling breeze whipped through the city streets, chilling any night-goers. 
Most were annoyed by it, but tonight I enjoyed the cold twist to our normal hot summers. 
I started whistling to myself, a jolly tune my Mother had taught me, when I heard crying. 
I stopped in my tracks and stepped back a few paces, listening. 
Looking around, I finally spotted a girl, maybe my age sitting on the steps of the Tailor. 
I glanced around, not really knowing what to do. 
You see, this girl was absolutely in my reach for the 376th murder on my count... but something stopped me. 
The girl sniffed and dragged her arm across her face. "I'm gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill him!" She screamed into the night. 
I just stood there watching her. 
The girl stomped down the steps of the Tailor, suddenly she stopped. 
I followed her gaze... straight to me. 
OH F- 
I smiled and gave a wave, surprisingly managing to contain my momentary panic. 
And then, I got out of there. 
I walked as fast as I could, trying to hide the axe behind my leg. 
Why had I stopped? 
What had she done to make me of all people want to stop? 
I shoved the thoughts to the back of my head, walking up the street. 
Finally stopping, I pulled the gate key out of my pocket , unlocking the ten foot iron gate. 
I walked up the gardened path and entered the house via the side door. 
Quiet enough not to wake Niffty, I took off my boots and headed down the basement stairs. 
Dropping my things off, I headed back up the stairs to my bedroom. 
Glancing at the grandfather clock, I knew it was two in the morning. 
After getting ready, I got into my bed, finally settling down for the day. 
My mind wandered to the girl. 
Who was she? 
Why was she crying? 
I sighed and closed my eyes. 
These were all questions that could be answered in the morning. 

I sat on the patio, drinking my morning coffee when Miss Charlotte skipped on through the gate. 
I smiled at her energy as she jumped up and down, waving. "Mister Alastor! Mister Alastor!" 
She finally reached the porch and sat down with her usual basket. "Well hello!" she said. 
I nodded to her. "Hello my dear, what brings you here?" 
Charlotte or Charlie, broke into her beautiful grin. "I brought You and Niffty something!" 
Leaning back in my chair, I looked through the window. "NIFFTY! Come darling! There are things outside for you!" 
My maid and personal friend popped up in the doorway. "What?" 
I gestured to Charlie. "She has things for you." 
Niffty spun around. "For you?" 
I squinted. "No, for 'You'." 
The realization dawned on her face and she laughed. "Me? why me?" 
Charlotte laughed too. "Because I know you work hard." 
Niffty nodded slowly. "Ah... okay...?" 
Charlie slowly reached into the basket and pulled out a box of cookies. "Alright, here's the deal, I know mister Alastor here doesn't like sweet things," she looked straight at me while whispering. "As weird as that is, Anyway, so this whole box is for... drum role please...... you!" 
Niffty's whole face lit up and she grabbed the box out of her hands. "THANK YOU!!"  
   Charlotte smiled. "I was think-" 
   "CHARLOTTE!!!" 
She sighed and spun around. "WHAT VAGGIE?!" 
Her sister and a personal hatred of mine, walked up the path. "Charlie, what are you doing here?" 
(Okay, I'm so sorry to all shippers, I love Chaggie as much as the next, but I didn't see how I could get some of the same energy from their relationship without them being sisters since being Bi nor being Lesbian was a thing in the 1921, alright? so bear with me)
Charlotte shrugged. "Talking to Mister Alastor?"  
Vaggie grabbed Charlie by the shoulders. "You can't just go talking to a- a..." she glanced at me. 
I stared back, almost daring her to say it. 
She pulled Charlie closer, like that would make me hear her any less. "This colored freak." 
So apparently she did dare to say it. 
I stood up. "Miss Vagatha, leave my property right now." 
She glanced up at me. "Yeah yeah whatever."
Turning back to Charlie, she continued. "He is, A: Scetchy as hell, B: He is part of the 'colored community, don't sink to that level, don't bring yourself down by talking to him." 
I laughed. "Miss Vagatha, I thought I told you to do something." 
She straightened and looked at me. "You can't tell me to to anything." 
I smiled and stalked up to her, looking down at her perfectly white face. "Get. Of. My. Property. Before I punt you off, just because you are white, does not mean you get to come to my home, and tell me what to do, shoving me around. Do you understand that?" 
Vaggie took a step back, sputtering. "Y-y-you piece of-!" 
I pointed to the property lines. "Get, off. Do not make me do it for you." 
Vaggie stomped, walking back down the steps. "You will never be as good as us!' she yelled. 
  "Charlie, come on." 
I held up a hand. "Miss Charlotte is able to come and leave as she pleases, not by your rule, not by mine." 
And Miss Vagatha continued to sputter and stomp all the way back to the gate. 
She slammed it hard and I looked back to Charlie. "Well, she's always entertaining!" 
Charlie rubbed her arm, grimacing. "I'm sorry about her, sh-she's not that bad usually." 
I laughed, waving my hand. "Oh don't worry dear, she is." 
Charlotte's midnight eyes stared at the floor. "Um, well anyway, h-here." 
She pulled a small brown box out of the basket and handed it to me. "I-I saw it and thought of you." she spun around and raced down the stairs, running out of the gate. 
Niffty brought a new pot of coffee. "I like her." she said, pouring me a new glass. 
I sighed. "I do to, but that girl is too naive for her own good."  
The maid glanced at me. "You weren't home last night..." 
I smiled and patted her head. "Just out late, I had some cleaning up to do at the radio station. Nothing more." 
She pressed her lips into a hard line, but walked back inside. 
Looking down at the brown box, I started to open it. 
A pocket watch. 
Gold, silver inside, nothing speci-
I saw writing. 
I spent the next three minutes twisting and turning my head, trying to read the bloody thing. 
But still, no luck. 
I smiled, slightly frusturated but thankful for the gift. 
Getting up, I headed to work. 
I nodded to all my coworkers and walked the stairs to my lovely broadcasting tower. 
Sliding into my chair, I grabbed the papers that Miss Shannon had left on my desk. 
Shuffling through them, I looked for the paper on Mr Green. 
It would be in there. 
I smiled when I saw it and pulled the paper, but stopped when I saw more writing on the paper.

Starling strikes! 

Mr Jonson was murdered last night, slit throat and tore out intestestions, lungs and heart found gone. 
Comeback from the Smiling killer? 
Mr Green was murdered... 

I looked up from the paper. 
That. piece. Of. White. Trash. 
The fude was never written down on paper, but The Starling was my personal enemy. 
Never caught, never named, never left a trace of who they were or why they struck. 
Always the same killing method, never anything different. 
I hated them so much, sometimes I just went on killing sprees to get my number over theirs. 
I slammed the paper on the desk and took off my glasses, chucking them across the room. 
My personal goal was to someday kill this Starling. 
Kill them and leave the body to rot in the sun to show who was really the terror of New Orleans. 
Sighing, I grabbed my glasses and continued with my work before someone noticed my slacking. 

Later, I walked down the street, shuffling through work papers. 
I walked straight into someone. 
Ah Fuck. 
I smiled and looked up. 
Sapphire eyes met mine. 
The girl stumbled back. "Oh, oh dear, I'm sorry, so sorry!" she knelt down and started picking up all my papers. "I'm sorry I wasn't watching where I was going." she laughed. "Clumsy me." 
Her white hands shuffled through my papers, straightening them all before she stood up and handed them to me. 
I just stood there, staring. 
Had... had a white..? 
Wait, what? 
The girl glanced around, before  looking back to me. "Is something wrong?" 
I shook my head. "Uh, no. Not at all, thank you." 
She flashed me a beautiful smile. "Rosie." she said, holding out a hand. 
Rosie wore a long sleeved dress despite the heat of the afternoon. 
I slowly reached my hand out, surprised that this was coming from a white woman. 
  "Alastor." I said, shaking her hand. 
She pulled her hand back and grabbed her arm. "Nice to meet you, I-I'm so sorry about the papers, is- is there anything I can do?" 
Did she not even notice the difference in our skin tone? Was she blind? 
I was kind of stuck on the question for a second. "No, nothing, not at all!" I answered. 
Rosie laughed. "Alright then, well have a good day! And Nice to meet you Alastor!" she called walking away. 
I don't really know how long I stood there on the street, contemplating what. The. Hell, had just happened.