8. Whole Pie

Veneer POV:

Veneer: "So, I... initially broke up with... with Ritz. He found out about the night dancing and... told me to leave, and I did."

Lightning and thunder crack as a storm threatens to spill. The storm has perfect timing as I reveal my sad story.

Justin: "Shit, I'm sorry."

Ven: "Yeah, and afterward, I kept dancing and... met someone new. It's not been the best relationship, and... I've gotten addicted to ring pops. He was just recently arrested, and I was even taken into custody on his behalf, but I got out with the help of Ritz. I... actually overdosed yesterday and had to go to the hospital, but I'm out and feeling better."

Justin holds his smoke away as he hugs me.

Justin: "Dude... that seriously sucks. I'm so sorry. I wish I could've been there for you."

Ven: "It's okay. I'm... talking to Ritz again, I've left the other boyfriend, and... I think if I try at it... things can get better."

Justin: "Totally, they can. I love your optimism."

I smile as he pulls away.

Ven: "Enough about me; what have you been up to?"

Justin: "Well, my brother just had his wedding; he's got two kids now. I'm not going to lie; I love living life as it is. I like coming into the convenience store, going on breaks, and going home. It's a slow life, but I love it."

Ven: "I'm so glad to hear it!"

Justin: "Thanks, man. Does this mean you'll be coming by more often?"

Ven: "Absolutely. Once I figure out how to get my money from my ex, I'll be able to buy my smokes from you. I needed this one; I haven't had one since before being in custody."

Justin: "Aw, you don't have to pay me for those. You're my favorite customer; those will always be free, especially after all you've been through."

Ven: "Really?"

Justin nods as he crushes his smoke into the dirt.

We talk a bit more, catching up until it's time for him to get off break and so I can have enough time to make it home before the storm blows through. I follow him inside and am gifted a pack and lighter.

I promise to visit soon and thank him, leaving feeling very happy. I get home, choosing to sit on the porch swing. As I sit, thunder cracks, and rain starts to fall in blue, shimmering drops.

I used to love sitting here on this swing. I adored the rain and watching the sky light up with the lightning. It's beautiful... and allows me to contemplate as the sweet smell of rain wafts by.

I light up as I rock and think, comforted by the gloomy, grey sky. Hmm... if I am no longer with Dom, then I will have to get a job. I didn't go to college; the only thing I know is waiting tables... or dancing.

I could return to it and just be smarter about accepting cash only. But... I'd have to do night dancing...

That isn't as fun if I'm going to be with Kid Ritz.

I take a drag, my head hurting as I try to think things through. I continue to rock on the porch, yet I am surprised as I see Kid Ritz returns with Orchid, his lights on.

He gets out in a panic, looking relieved as he sees me. He runs up and hugs me, not even looking at the smoke between my fingers.

Kid Ritz POV:

I get to the station and walk in, expecting to see everyone buzzing about catching Dom, yet I don't.

Come to think of it, the station is looking pretty empty. Where's Fred? Has he not come in with Midori?