Episode 03: Crossroads

Jeremy could only frown at Life’s statement.

“I’m sorry. . . what?”

“Blue Magians have the ability to manipulate the Everforce,” Life reiterated. “This power runs in your blood, so that means some of your ancestors, probably from the far away past, used to be Blue Magians as well.”

“This is the reason why I was so eager to bring you here,” sabi naman sa kanya ni Isler. “Blue Magians have been gone here for so long that they have almost faded away into legends and stories. Your arrival changes everything, Jeremy. You are most probably the last and only living Blue Magian in existence.”

“However, for your security, we are going to keep this a secret for now,” Fate suddenly said from her pew. “It is too risky to go around announcing your arrival, especially now that we are at such a delicate time in our kingdom.”

“What I said last night was impulsive, and I apologize for that,” King Ilsendor said. Jeremy suddenly remembered that the king was about to give up his throne for Jeremy when they learned that he’s a Blue Magian.

“That is also why we are hoping that you’ll understand us when we say that we need to look after you, Jeremy,” Life continued. “Whether you like it or not, you are connected to us. The mere fact that assassins were dispatched to get rid of you and that they were able to find where exactly in the universe you live tells me that powerful entities are going after your head. We can protect you, my dear boy. Someone as valuable as you cannot be left all alone when there are numerous people out there who desire your power. We are just glad and extremely relieved that we were able to find you first before anyone with ill intentions did.”

“Well, honestly speaking, those Red Magians found him first,” Isler replied. Kinurot naman siya ng katabi niya.

Jeremy let out a weary breath as he massaged his head. Kani-kanina lang ay hindi siya makapaniwala sa sinasabi nila tungkol sa pagkatao niya, ngayon naman ay tila natatakot na siya dahil sa nagbabadyang mga banta sa buhay niya. Hindi niya lubos akalain na sa buong buhay niya ay may mga tao pala na hindi galing sa mundo niya ang gusto siyang patayin.

“Like I said last night, I really don’t want to get involved in your affairs here,” he said in a low voice. “I am just Jeremy, and I want nothing but a happy and peaceful life for me and my mother. Actually, we used to have that before my father died, and I am here just trying to get that old life back. I can’t really see how any of these will help me live a quiet and simple life back home.”

It was getting too much for Jeremy. All he wanted was a few answers, and now he feels like he’s being burdened with the responsibility of looking after this massive empire that he wasn’t even aware of just yesterday. All he could think of right now is his life back on Earth, especially his mother. He doesn’t care if he can control the power source of the universe. He just wants to live the life that they used to live before his father left them.

Life nodded somberly, closing his eyes as if he was already expecting this response. “I understand, my dear boy, and we are not in the position to dictate your decisions,” he said.

“Didn’t those Red Magians say that they killed your father?” Isler asked Jeremy. “Kung totoo man ang sinabi nila, then that means the Union is your best chance at uncovering the truth behind his death. Life said that those Red Magians are working for someone powerful, and that someone really wants to see you dead. Do you really think that the forces on Earth would be able to help you if that someone sent reinforcements to Earth?”

Natigilan si Jeremy.

“Maybe your father is the reason why you can’t seem to settle down in your life,” the prince added. “Maybe what you really need is closure for his death. I don’t want to sound harsh, but no one on Earth would be able to help you identify the person or people who wanted to kill you and your father. We have the manpower and resources to do just that. Besides, we’re not even sure if they’re after only you and your father. Your mother might also be in danger.”