|| Prologue ||

You stemmed from a typical family, two parents, a farm, and debt. 

When you were a child, your parents simply brushed off the debt, taking care of a farm and a kid didn't leave much time for thoughts of such things, no matter how dire. Eventually, the debt piled up, and a strange, threatening man made his way to your doorstep one morning. He made it clear he was not leaving without the money. The money your parents didn't have. Your parents hid you as they yelled and argued, shielding you from the realities of life, the realities you would one day face. You were scared, and confused, hearing the incoherent shouting from both your parents and the strange man. You had to know what was happening. You squirmed past your parent's defensive bodies in order to hear better. 

You heard bits and pieces, something about your home being taken away, then your parents. And you couldn't just stand there and let that happen. 

"You can't take our home!" You shouted without thinking at the tall man unwelcome in your home. Your mom held up a securing arm across your body, holding you back. 

"Your parents don't have the money, kid." The man knelt in front of you, a smirk tugged his lips upward, despite the monotone in his voice.

"Then I'll make the money!" You yelled back, the man's smirk only grew, though you couldn't see over the tears that threatened to create tiny rivers down your cheeks.

Your parents faces where strained. The man simply chuckled and walked away, shooting your parents a death glare. You all silently knew he'd be back. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, years later, you held true to your promise to the man. 

Getting into a good college to secure a good job in the future, to hopefully pay off the long-due debt. You liked the arts, writing, poetry, etc., and your classes reflected that. You lived in an apartment, not a bad one, not a good one. And your romantic life was pretty boring, you had a crush on your classmate, Crowe. Though you didn't act on it, you've been friends forever, and you didn't want to ruin that bond. You had a current group of friends, you didn't hang out much outside of school, but they were a good distraction. You simply tried your best to get good grades while searching the job market. 

Note: Hi, this is my first fanfic. I'm open to (nice) criticism in the comments, and what you want to see! :)))