𝟚: Gryffindor Guilt

The door swung open, revealing a tall witch, dressed in striking emerald-green robes. Her face set in a stern, unyielding expression that spoke of authority and strictness. It was clear from her demeanor and piercing gaze that this was not a person to cross.

"The first years, Professor McGonagall," announced Hagrid, stepping aside to reveal the group of nervous newcomers.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here," she replied briskly.

With a firm tug, Professor McGonagall pulled the door wide open. The enormous entrance hall was revealed, all students stood taken aback by the size, all except Enzo who's only thought was that his entrance hall was slightly smaller.

The first years followed Professor McGonagall across the stone floor, their footsteps echoing in the grand space.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," began Professor McGonagall. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will attend classes with your housemates, sleep in your house dormitory, and spend your free time in your house common room.'

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. Each house has a noble history and has produced many outstanding witches and wizards. During your time at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn points for your house, while any rule breaking will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours."

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as possible."

Her eyes lingered for a moment on Neville's cloak, awkwardly fastened under his left ear, and then shifted to Ron's smudged nose. Harry, feeling a surge of nervousness, attempted to flatten his perpetually messy hair.

"I shall return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall. "Please wait quietly."

With that, she exited the chamber, leaving Harry to swallow hard.

"How exactly do they sort us into houses?" he whispered to Enzo and Ron.

"Some sort of test, I think. Fred said it hurts a lot, but I think he was joking."

Harry's heart plummeted. A test? In front of the entire school? He didn't know any magic yet... what on earth would he be expected to do? This was far from what he had expected on his first day. As he looked around, he saw that everyone else seemed equally terrified.

"Don't worry, it's not like you can fail the test. It's practically a personality test, more or less." Enzo reassuringly placed his hand on Harry's shoulder. "Although... I wonder how someone with split personalities would get sorted." He mumbled.

Conversations were minimal, except for Hermione Granger, who was rapidly whispering about all the spells she had learned, speculating which ones might be required.

Suddenly, something happened that made him jump nearly a foot in the air, several people behind them screamed.

"What the-?" Harry gasped, and so did the others around him.

About twenty ghosts had just streamed through the back wall. Pearly-white and slightly transparent, they glided across the room, engaged in conversation and barely acknowledging the first years.

They seemed to be in the midst of an argument. A plump little monk was saying, "Forgive and forget, I say. We ought to give him a second chance-"

"My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name, and you know he's not even a proper ghost-oh, what are you all doing here?"