𝟟: Nicolas Flamel

Hermione, who had returned the day before term started, viewed things differently. She oscillated between horror at Harry's reckless behavior of wandering the school for three consecutive nights ("If Filch had caught you!") and frustration that he hadn't discovered who Nicolas Flamel was.

Despite Harry's certainty that he'd seen the name somewhere, they had almost given up hope of finding Flamel in a library book. Once the term commenced, their search was reduced to brief ten-minute sessions during breaks. Enzo and Harry had even less time than the others, as Quidditch practice had resumed.

Wood was driving the team harder than ever, his enthusiasm undampened even by the relentless rain replacing the snow. The Weasley twins grumbled about Wood's fanaticism, but Enzo supported him.

If they won their next match against Hufflepuff, they would surpass Slytherin in the house championship for the first time in seven years.

"It will be worth it to see Malfoy's scowl when we win the house championship," Enzo kept assuring Harry.

Then, during a particularly wet and muddy practice session, Wood delivered some unwelcome news.

After scolding the Weasley twins for their antics of dive-bombing and pretending to fall off their brooms, he yelled, "Will you stop messing around! That's exactly the kind of behavior that will lose us the match! Snape is refereeing this time, and he'll be looking for any excuse to dock points from Gryffindor!"

George Weasley genuinely fell off his broom at these words. Spitting out a mouthful of mud, he spluttered, "Snape's refereeing? When has he ever refereed a Quidditch match? He won't be fair if we might overtake Slytherin."

"He's going to favor the Slytherins!" Enzo exclaimed, landing next to George.

"It's not my fault," Wood replied. "We just have to play a clean game so Snape doesn't have an excuse to penalize us."

After practice, while the rest of the team lingered to chat, Enzo and Harry headed straight to the Gryffindor common room. They found Ron and Hermione engaged in a game of chess, the only activity Hermione ever lost at, which the boys thought was good for her.

"Don't talk to me for a moment," Ron said as Enzo sat down, "I need to concen-" He noticed Harry's troubled expression. "What's the matter with you? You look awful."

Speaking quietly so others wouldn't overhear, Harry explained Snape's sudden and sinister decision to referee the Quidditch match.

"Don't play," Hermione immediately advised.

"Say you're ill," Ron suggested.

"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione added.

"My vomit scheme still stands," Enzo grinned.

"Really break your leg," Ron offered.

"I can't," Harry said. "There isn't a reserve Seeker. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all."

"Oh yeah," Enzo remembered, realizing he was also on the team.

At that moment, Neville stumbled into the common room. How he managed to climb through the portrait hole was a mystery, as his legs were stuck together by what they recognized as the Leg-Locker Curse. He must have hopped all the way to Gryffindor tower.

Everyone burst into laughter except Hermione, who jumped up and performed the countercurse. Neville's legs sprang apart, and he stood up, trembling.

"What happened?" Hermione asked, leading him over to Harry, Enzo, and Ron.

"Malfoy," Neville said shakily. "I met him outside the library. He said he was looking for someone to practice that on."

"Go to Professor McGonagall!" Hermione urged. "Report him!"