𝟛: New Players

"Look over there," exclaimed a curious student, pointing discreetly in the direction of Harry and Enzo.

"Where exactly?"

"Just beside the tall boy with fiery red hair."

"The one with the glasses?"

"Did you see his face?"

"I heard he's just as unpredictable as his father."

"Did you notice Harry Potter's scar?"

Whispers trailed Harry and Enzo from the moment they left their dormitory the next morning. Enzo found himself subjected to more or less unfounded rumors, while curious onlookers lined up outside classrooms or doubled back in corridors just to catch another glimpse of Harry, out of curiosity.

Navigating Hogwarts was not simple with its layout, dizzying array of staircase-some wide and sweeping, others narrow and rickety, a few mysteriously leading to different places on Fridays, and some with steps that disappeared halfway up, necessitating a leap of faith.

There were doors that refused to budge unless asked politely or tickled in just the right spot, and deceptive walls masquerading as doors. Finding one's way was a challenge even the portraits seemed to have a penchant for wandering, while the suits of armor were rumored to come to life.

The resident ghosts added to the chaos. A sudden apparition through a door was a common occurrence, startling the unwary. Nearly Headless Nick was somewhat helpful, directing new Gryffindors on occasion, but Peeves the Poltergeist was a different story. Crossing paths with him on the way to class meant risking a cascade of wastepaper baskets, rug pulls, chalk assaults, or worse-he might sneak up invisibly, pinch your nose, and shriek, "GOT YOUR CONK!"

More ominous than Peeves was Argus Filch, the cantankerous caretaker. Harry Enzo and Ron's first encounter with Filch ended in accusations of trespassing when they mistakenly tried to enter the forbidden corridor on the third floor. Convinced they were up to no good, Filch threatened to throw them in the dungeons until Professor Quirrell intervened.

Filch's constant companion was Mrs. Norris, a scrawny feline with bulging, lamp-like eyes that mirrored her owner's sour demeanor. She patrolled the corridors vigilantly, and a mere hint of rule-breaking would send her scurrying to Filch's side in an instant. Filch, with his intimate knowledge of Hogwarts' secret passages, could appear unexpectedly, much like the ghosts that haunted the halls. His presence was universally loathed by students, many of whom harbored fantasies of giving Mrs. Norris a well-deserved scare.

Even after mastering the layout of Hogwarts, gaining access to its various areas required passwords and riddles. Memorizing them was crucial, as some staircases and doors were notorious for testing newcomers with their peculiar demands.

Professor McGonagall, with her stern demeanor, was very different from the other teachers. She exuded an air of authority that commanded respect, even the mischievous twins, Fred and George Weasley, dared not challenge her. Her first lecture on Transfiguration set the tone for her class a blend of awe and intimidation.

"Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she began. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned."

With a flick of her wand, McGonagall effortlessly transformed her own desk into a squealing pig, then back into a polished wooden surface. The students watched in rapt attention, their initial excitement tempered by the realization of the discipline demanded in her lessons.

The practicality of their first lesson soon became apparent. Rather than attempting grand transformations, they were tasked with the meticulous task of transfiguring a match into a needle. Hermione Granger, ever the diligent student, succeeded where others faltered, earning a rare smile from McGonagall as her match turned silver and needle-like.