chapter 1: street smarts

Kofi, a bright-eyed ten-year-old with a mischievous grin approached a distracted pedestrian on the bustling street. "Hey, mister! You look like someone who could use a lucky charm!" He held up a small trinket, gleaming in the sunlight.

Meanwhile, Max, a silent eight-year-old with a watchful gaze, hovered nearby, his eyes fixed on the man's wallet.

He waited on for the perfect time to strike and upon realisation of the man's absent mindedness he moves in with a swift motion, as he snatched the man's wallet and slipped it into his pocket, unnoticed by the stranger.

The man, engrossed in his phone, handed Kofi a few coins, unaware of the theft. "Keep the change, kid."

As they walked away, Kofi chuckled and nudged Max. "Good job, little man!"

Max smiled, his eyes sparkling, and tucked the wallet into his pocket.

The duo made their way to a nearby market, where they spent their loot on fresh fruit and bread. As they sat on a bench, munching on their snack, Kofi began to rap.

"Me and Max, we're quite a pair
street smarts and silence, we show we care.
We may not have much, but we've got each other's backs.
And together, we'll make it through the tough tracks!"

Max listened intently, his eyes shining in awe of his friend's creativity as his hands clapped for joy in admiration of his friend.

He could remember the day their parts crossed like it was just yesterday.

The sun beat down on the dusty playground, casting a warm glow over the swings and slides. Among the chaos of children's laughter and shouts, two boys stood out. Ten-year-old Kofi, with his dark skin and bright smile, was engaged in a heated game of tag with his friends. Nearby, eight-year-old Max sat quietly on a bench, observing the commotion with wide eyes.

Max's silence was not due to shyness; he was unable to speak. Born with a rare condition, Max had never uttered a word in his life. Despite this, his eyes sparkled with curiosity, and his face lit up with a smile whenever he watched his peers play.

Kofi, noticing Max's fascination with the game, approached him during a brief pause in the action. "Hey, you want to play with us?" Kofi asked, his eyes shining with excitement.

Max's face lit up, and he nodded enthusiastically.

And so, an unlikely friendship began...

As they finished their meal, Kofi turned to Max and asked, "You know, Max, what's your story? Why don't you talk?"

Max's gaze dropped, and he shrugged, his silence speaking volumes. He hated that he couldn't talk like other kids and he didn't like people asking him about it either.

Kofi nodded understandingly. "No worries, little bro. I've got your back. We'll face the streets together, always."

The bond between them so strong that it couldn't be broken, not even with the hardest force in the world.

_______

Thoughts?

©2024 by o_writezz