The Game of The Mass (Unfinished Chapters 1-3)

Chapter 1

I finally walk into the dorm, exhausted. I throw my backpack onto the couch, and at last sit down. Andon is back early, smoking a cigarette in the armchair. I turn on the TV. I just sit there and ignore his crap about classes and money and all the rest of the things I pretend to care about. Everything is normal, boring. I'm in the screw homework mood again, so I decide to skip it for another day. Not really hungry; I decide to eat anyways. I finally just go to bed at around midnight, waiting for this worthless day to become another worthless day. 

Seth, wake up! Get up! Now! 

I said get up! The U.G.P.H is going to end the population problem! This is not freaking good!!! 

"JUST LOOK." 

Andon grabs me by the collar and thrusts me into the living room. He grabs the remote and runs back the dvr. A man I do not recognize is on the TV.  

"There is only one solution to this. It's either all or some. If this continues the world as we know it is going to collapse. But we now have a solution. The government cannot be expected to control life and death. We do not have the right to choose who lives and who dies. But someone does. And people have to die.To many people. To little time. That is why you will decide. Tomorrow, you will begin the journey to a new world. You are going to participate in a game. The Game of The Mass. Tomorrow, everybody of eligible age will receive a Chip. It will have two weeks on it. You must kill to survive. Eat or be eaten. For every death brought on by your hands, you will receive another week. Those who refuse to comply will either participate in this game, or will immediately be executed via firing squad. The game will last ten years. Should you survive, all will be well. Good luck." 

"IS THIS A JOKE?!"I yell, Choking back my emotions. 

"I swear to God it wasn't me. We need to get out of here before its too late."

We decide to gather what little we already have. There's nothing in the refrigerator, we usually just get takeout or pizza. The only foods we really ever have here are cereal and beer. 

In the end, all we are able to find thats actually useful is some steak knives and the pepper spray we keep in case of emergency. We each take a few different knives and I give the pepper spray to Andon. We walk as fast as we can to the elevator. I hit the button. Nothing happens. I try again and again to no avail. Andon does the same, apparently because he would actually make a difference. 

"Maybe try the stairs?" I asked nervously.  

We go over. I am relieved to see the staircase, and we walk towards it. Some invisible force catches me completely off guard, throwing me a good several feet 

"How do we get out?! What do we do?! 

"I...I don't think we have a choice. You heard what that freak said. We either comply, or we die. But we probably die either way." 

"Thanks for lifting my spirits. What do you propose we do? We at least need a plan by tomorrow." 

"Sporting goods store? They might have weapons." 

"Obviously. What else?" 

"I don't know! Just hope we're lucky! What choice do we have?!" 

"Fine. Lets just get some rest. We definitely need it." 

"I just don't get it though! They showed no sign whatsoever! Why did they do this? I know the U.G.P.H was always on the crazy side, but seriously?!" 

"I don't know. I don't care. This is our last normal day we'll ever have. Make dang good use of it." 

This is the one time when, being a full fledged adult, I just wanna cry like a little kid. I wish I could die. I wish everything could be normal. I wish I could just fulfill my role as a human and live my life by my own rules. I just lay there, hoping to fall asleep in my despair.