Echoes Of The Past

Starring samcrosfaithas Morgana LeCroft

Chapter 1: The Hunt

The humid air of the Philippine jungle clung to James Bond's skin like a second layer as he crouched behind a massive banyan tree. His tailored suit, now torn and muddied, was a far cry from its usual pristine condition. But then again, being hunted through a tropical forest wasn't exactly a typical day at the office, even for 007.

The distant sound of voices and snapping twigs made Bond's muscles tense. He controlled his breathing, trying to silence even the slightest rustle of leaves. His pursuers were getting closer.

"He can't have gone far," a gruff voice said in accented English. "The tracker shows he's within a hundred meters."

Bond's hand instinctively went to his left shoulder, where he had discovered and promptly removed a tiny tracking device. A humorless smile played on his lips. These 'hunters' thought themselves clever, but they were dealing with a man who had made a career out of staying one step ahead.

As the voices drew nearer, Bond's mind raced through his options. He could make a run for it, but in this dense foliage, speed wasn't on his side. No, he needed to turn the tables on his pursuers.

Carefully, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small device - courtesy of Q Branch. It looked like an ordinary smartphone, but Bond knew better. With a few quick taps, he activated its more... unconventional features.

The hunters' voices were now alarmingly close. Bond could make out at least three distinct speakers.

"Check over there," one of them commanded. "He can't hide forever."

Bond tensed, ready to spring into action. Just as a beam from a flashlight swept past his hiding spot, he pressed the final button on his device.

Suddenly, the jungle erupted with noise. Bird calls, monkey screeches, and the roar of what sounded like a tiger echoed through the trees, seeming to come from all directions at once.

"What the hell?" one of the hunters shouted, clearly startled.

Bond seized his moment. In one fluid motion, he burst from his hiding spot, catching the nearest hunter with a powerful right hook. The man went down hard, his rifle clattering to the forest floor.

The other two hunters, momentarily disoriented by the cacophony of animal sounds, were slow to react. Bond capitalized on their confusion, delivering a swift kick to the second man's solar plexus before he could bring his weapon to bear.

The third hunter, finally shaking off his surprise, raised his rifle. But Bond was already in motion, closing the distance between them in three long strides. He grabbed the barrel of the gun, pushing it skyward just as the hunter squeezed the trigger. The shot rang out harmlessly into the canopy above.