Chapter 13 - A Game Of Thrones

Suffocated by distress, Melinda sent a letter directly to the royal palace. She'd heard about the council meeting, the outcome of which she thought embarrassing, to say the least. Still, she knew very well that it was only hope that led to her expecting something more from it. After all, politics is a murky and confusing game in which everyone says they have the answers, but nobody ever does. It's all talk and no action. Even the royal family, which she had always stood by, knew to fall into this far too often for their own good. However, this was all part of being a human in this human society built by human hands. Amidst all the frustration and hopelessness of not having answers, an answer would someday certainly emerge. At the end of the day, humanity is not all terrible, even when it doesn't seem that way.

But not yet.

Amongst the nobility, it was popular to ignore the concerns of the general public, telling them that everything was going to be fine and that they shouldn't worry about it. It was a typical move. And, in keeping with their brand of sticking their heads in the sand, they felt the need to host the royal ball, during which the King would choose his wife, as soon as possible. They wouldn't let anything ruin their sacred traditions, no matter the cost. Not even the game of thrones.

On that fine morning, two old people woke up in the royal palace side by side, naked as the day they were born. Their clothes were thrown carelessly onto the floor, and they were united in a loving embrace the way they tended to do, their bodies heaving after a long night of passion. After all, they were old, not dead. They loved basking in all the delights life had to offer, and though it was obviously disappointing when compared to the days of their youth, a faint glimmer of their former lives still lay underneath. 

If anything, they were glad to have only one child, one who took after them as much as possible while still being a unique individual. It was Malcolm Lopez, which made a whole lot of sense when looking at a family portrait. 

The father was tall, with lively eyes and gentle lips and other features that would have gotten him confused for a woman if not for his facial hair and deep voice. The mother, while not as tall, had the notably cold features also seen in her son that caused them both to look untrustworthy, but which could also look loving in the right opportunity. The stern almond eyes, the hawk-like nose, the sharp cheekbones, unappealing features framed by a halo of long flaming hair, or, in her case, grey hair with almost invisible streaks of red. 

Enjoying the sight of his wife's wrinkled yet still somewhat pretty feminine body, the old man's eyes began to drift, focusing on inappropriate areas before her melodious yawning snapped him back into reality. "Good morning, my dear Lydia. You look lovely as always, and I must say that I was thoroughly enchanted by you this last night. I don't have the proper words to explain it... It's almost like something possessed you.

I mean, you were always a great lover, but you haven't been this great in years. Your love managed to overpower mine, and I don't know how that's possible. You could never love me as much as I love you, and I mean this in the best way possible. You're the best wife I could have ever asked for, and I won't stop loving you until the day I die."

"Oh, Richard," the old woman giggled, pausing to stroke his hairy chest, her skilled touch causing him to blush like an adolescent. "You're so romantic. It gets boring after a while, how happy we are. However, I wouldn't trade it for anything. The average old married couple bickers a lot, and many people come to hate their spouses after realising that it's impossible to live happily ever after, but we're the exception to that rule. Even our son has been able to observe it all his life. If only he weren't such a disappointment..."

Richard pushed her away from himself, stopping to glare at her for a moment as he got up and started to get dressed. "Why are you hating on my son? He's your son too! Besides, what right do you have to call Malcolm a disappointment? Not only are you his mother, but you have also helped me raise him the best we could. He's nice and mild-mannered, and he's also rather smart, having gotten into the best law school in the country and become a royal advisor.