The Beginning

I was one of three sisters born that day. My mother is Volestep, she is a motherly cat who doesn't like violence even in her own family. Now, onto my father, he is the captain of Forest Colony, and his name is Darkpath. He is the opposite of my mother.

He enjoys violence and hurting me and my sister. My name is Black, and my life started out strong until I was about 2 months old when my father came into the den where I was sleeping next to my mother Volestep and my sisters Dark and Spotted.

As the moonlight filtered through the dense canopy above, casting dappled shadows across the nursery floor, Black stirred from her slumber. The warmth of her mother, Volestep's, gentle purring beside her offered a fleeting sense of security, but the memory of her father's recent visit still haunted her young mind.

Darkpath, the formidable captain of Forest Colony, had a reputation that sent shivers through even the bravest of warriors. His presence was like a looming shadow over their den, his approval a prize sought after by many, but feared by his own kin. Black, her sister dark, and her sister spotted, nestled together in the nursery, were the latest litter to bear witness to his unpredictable temper.

That fateful night, as Black's whiskers twitched in the cool night air, she recalled the sudden tension that had gripped the den when Darkpath appeared. His eyes, usually cold and calculating, had burned with a fierce intensity that made her fur stand on end. Volestep had instinctively positioned herself protectively between her kits and their father, a silent plea for restraint in her gaze.

But restraint was a foreign concept to Darkpath. With a low growl, he had approached, his massive frame casting a menacing shadow over the small family. Black remembered the scent of fear that had permeated the air, mingling with the familiar scent of moss and pine that defined their home.

"Volestep," Darkpath's voice had rumbled, a mixture of authority and barely restrained fury, "they need to toughen up. This is no place for weakness."

His words had hung heavy in the air, laden with unspoken threats. Volestep, ever the compassionate soul, had bristled at the implication, her whiskers trembling in defiance. "They are only kits, Darkpath. They need time to grow."

Time. It was a luxury they could ill afford in the harsh reality of Forest Colony. From the moment they opened their eyes, the world outside their nursery beckoned with its dangers and challenges. But Black, even in her youth, had inherited her mother's spirit. Though her heart raced with fear in the presence of her father, a stubborn resolve burned within her.

Now, as the forest around them whispered its ancient secrets, Black vowed silently to protect her sisters. They were her kin, her blood, and she would shield them from the darkness that lurked within their own home. The beginning of her life had been fraught with uncertainty, but amidst the shadows of the nursery, she found a flicker of hope — a determination to carve her own path, away from the shadows that threatened to consume them all.