Chapter 2: Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Batman?

"Are you sure of this, sir? Are you certain that there is no chance of saving your allies? These heroes are your family. They are the hope of millions of people all around the world. If you use the Babel Protocol, it will never be the same again. You will not find forgiveness."

"Alfred. I saw the look in Barry's eyes as he murdered Luthor in cold blood. He enjoyed it. Revelled in it. Whatever this darkness is, it has consumed him entirely."

"Master Bruce, the Babel Protocol is the worst of sins that you have committed in this lifetime. I understand you would not think to use it unless it was truly necessary...the last move you could possibly make. But I worry. I worry about what's going to be left of your soul by the end of this. If you do this, there is no coming back from it. Not for you, or anyone else."

"It's like you said. I have no other choice."

"Then for all our sake's I hope you find answers to this nightmare within the mind of Mr Allen."

"I have to be prepared to do what's necessary if there is no cure for this."

"Both you and I, Master Bruce."

At the apex of the skies, peering down below at the city streets, one could almost be fooled into believing that Metropolis was at peace. Dare to look towards the sun, and the violet eyes of the doomsday machine hovered as an ominous reminder that the world had fallen.

Did mankind truly face its extinction, a prophecy of an apocalypse foretold a thousand times, or was the machine merely self-serving in its will to live?

As I gazed out at the city from the Batwing's cockpit, the neon glow of the instrument panels cast a faint light over the interior. The hum of the engines was a calming rhythm. From my chair I glanced back at The Flash, subdued and still. And I wondered if Braniac could even comprehend the depths of its own evil. And what sort of evil would respond in turn.

The Batcave was at the edge of the city, and I needed to get there before The Flash's healing kicked in. I'd done enough damage to delay it by several hours. At the cave I had an anti-speedforce prison, which would nullify his powers whilst I studied his condition.

Wonder Woman had agreed to meet me at the cave, but not before she continued her tireless war against Braniac's forces, saving as many people as she could.

Moments after we had separated, I had wanted to tell her that I was sorry. But I didn't. Beneath all her strength, her divine heritage and even her duty, was a deep sense of compassion that made her who she was. In that, we differed. Deep down, I was not driven by compassion.

I was driven by something darker: will.

The sheer force that it took to restrain the demon I had created, even when it begged for release. That was my compass. For whenever I dared to believe that I would lose my way, I only had to peer into that darkness, and I would know what was right.

A warning light blinked on my communications line. It was Alfred, once again.

"Master Bruce, I'm afraid I have distressing news," his voice crackled over the speaker.

"I'm listening."

"The cave has been compromised."

Had I heard him correctly?

My grip on the pilot's chair tightened, "Give me a reading on the situation."

"A security breach, sir. I'm afraid some unsavoury characters have gained entrance into the cave. Though the perpetrators hardly seem capable of having pulled this off on their own. I heard them mention an old acquaintance of yours: Amanda Waller."