Chapter 4: Angelic Anniversary

A/N: Hello! So, that Apology Tour episode was... it was heavy, huh? On the plus side, it was nice to see Verosika return and have a heart-to-heart with Blitzø. And we get to see Martha and Mrs. Mayberry return in the episode briefly, too, not to mention in an unexpected way... It would make things interesting in the long run for my story, I'll say that much. In any case, I'm happy to say that the next chapter is ready! And it will showcase Charlie, Vaggie, and Asher. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter after that heavy Apology Tour episode.

The Hazbin Hotel didn't always used to be called that. It used to be called the Happy Hotel. And even then, the place wasn't even a hotel, period. For a time, it was the only place that Charlie could use where Vaggie could be cared for, where no one would barge in and do all sorts of profanities they typically do every day. But it didn't make looking out the window any less painful. Today... was Extermination Day.

Once a year, Heaven held this brutal day to thin out the overgrown populace Hell has. With so many wicked souls having died on Earth, the count often had so scarce a number for actual pure and worthy souls. With how cruel and vain the world was, it was sadly no surprise. The problem was, the Sinners were content with that. They believed that there was no escaping their fate to begin with. Hence, they always decided to make the most of their relatively short afterlives beforehand. In any case, this day did not sit well for Charlie. At all.

Over and over, again and again, she had to watch her people get cut down by Heaven's spiteful and cruel exorcists. They practically had no mercy towards them, be it men, women, and shockingly, even children. To watch this over and over, again and again reminded her that no matter her title, she'd always be powerless. Neither her, her dreams, nor her people, ever mattered... That powerlessness, in itself, is worse than Hell. But she did have one comfort: Vaggie.

"Sweetie," she said, "You don't have to watch this, you know." She'd just walked into her room, holding a tray of her favorite breakfast: pancakes with eggs and bacon, sunny-side up. The eggs and the bacon formed a smiley face. The Princess smiled back at her meal as Vaggie sat down next to her.

"I know, but... I'm used to it..." Charlie replied sadly. "It's all I've ever done when I was little... all I could do." Vaggie looked down at the carnage surrounding them outside their building. Bodies of slain Sinners were scattered like trash on the street, their blood practically decorating the asphalt and the nearby buildings a few of them were tossed into. Exorcists didn't care much for collateral damage. Vaggie's hands trembled at the wretched sight, but that didn't go unnoticed. Charlie held her hand onto it to keep her steady. Vaggie turned her face to Charlie, seeing her sympathetic smile.

"Vaggie... you don't have to watch this either." Charlie softly urged. "I know it hurts you really bad."

Vaggie felt touched that Charlie would say so. Part of her wanted to let out her tears and sob all over her. But she didn't want to put any more pressure onto her than she already has. She shook her head and smiled back at her, trying to stay strong enough to be her shoulder.

"Eh, it's only been two years. You've had it worse than me." Vaggie bluntly said, attempting to pull off her tough exterior. However, Charlie didn't fully believe that, not when there are souls out there being condemned to oblivion.

"I don't think that's entirely true. All of you had it worse..." she said softly. "I just– I just wish that for once, there'd be an angel who'd come down there and help us stop all of this..." Vaggie gained a massive blush on her face. She wondered if Charlie had figured out who she was, who she used to be. She didn't know whether to be terrified or honored. In either case, she couldn't be enough for Charlie. She can't be anyone's angel... Vaggie took a deep breath and held tighter onto Charlie's hand.