9. Mile High Club

I barely register Fred leaving the car. I realize I'm left with Kid Ritz and Rollie, alone. What was that? Why am I so pulled into Kid Ritz's energy?

I blink, and we're at my apartment. That's impossible...

Kid Ritz: "I'll see you soon."

Kid Ritz smiles as I exit the car. I get inside, feeling angry. These two don't know what they're talking about. I'm not a model. I never planned on being one; I don't want to be one.

So... why am I still going through with this? Why do I show up for the next shoot two days later?

*FLASH*

A camera flashes as Cade takes another photo of me, taking me out of my thoughts. I look toward Fred, seeing that he's spaced out again. I won't lie and say he doesn't look incredible; he's really got this look to him, and I can see others having an affinity towards him.

I don't have that same allure. I know I don't.

I leave the set and sit down, feeling upset still. Dixie talks with Kid Ritz about fashion week and the expectations that we have to do a good job.

I have no chance of doing a good job. I don't know how to walk; I'm being led into this blindly, and it's unfair.

Kid Ritz: "Ven's going to do this pose..."

Ven: "No! I don't like the way you're tricking me!"

I stand up, my hands in the air as I get upset. Kid Ritz sighs as he takes a drag of his smoke.

Ven: "You two have some sort of mind control over me! Over Fred! Just because you've dolled us up doesn't mean we're models! We are not cut out for fashion week, and I will NOT embarrass myself! I don't want to go out and make a fool of-"

I stop my rant as I'm shown the magazine of me inside it. I look... like a model.

Kid Ritz: "We need you, Veneer. You are impeccable... and the world is realizing it. Can't you see what we're picking away at?"

I jump as he speaks right behind me. His voice sounds sincere and convincing.

Rollie: "We're creating diamonds; glittering, dazzling... diamond stars."

I look at him, then Fred. Fred's eyes are on Rollie. He's looking at him like... he holds the key to the world.

Fred's falling for him.

I sit next to him, feeling very conflicted. I look good... but... I don't want to be a star.

I don't want to be anyone's star and have countless eyes on me. I'm not going to be a falling star.

I finish the shoot and get home, feeling very conflicted with myself. I go through the magazine again and see my face on the page. I flip to the next, seeing Velv's got four pages dedicated to her and her model.

I don't want to model because... I know I can't compare with her. She's probably mocking me right now. She probably has me painted as a laughingstock. She wants me to fail. She wants me to be a falling star.

I close the magazine, angry and exhausted from the day. As Sunday rolls on, I feel less angry the longer I think about things.

Maybe I would gain some leverage over Velv if I were a model. If she's set her sights on embarrassing me, I might as well make an effort.

*PING*

I stop looking at myself in the mirror, checking my phone as I see a message from Kid Ritz.

Kid Ritz: *Would you be interested in dinner?*