Chapter 18

I was running. Gabriel chasing me through a parking lot as I tried to get away. He had been an asshole the entire time we were at a friend's party, so I walked outside for air. It was cold, and I was just tired of hearing it. He followed me out, gripping my arm tightly as I walked away from him. Gabriel pulled me back, taking hold of my other arm as he shook me, and said, "Don't fucking walk away from me." I struggled against his hold, then he shoved me back. Hitting the ground hard, I heard a crack as my head whipped back and met the concrete.

One of his friends had come out the door and was standing on the porch, I saw it clearly as I turned my head, tears stinging my eyes. Gabriel flustered and gripped my coat to pull me to my feet. Turning to his friend with a smile as he said, "She slipped, she's clumsy as shit." Laughing like nothing had happened at all. Still dazed from the knock to the head, I stumbled back, shaking my head and turned to walk off. Despite his friend's presence, he came after me. His friend watching the scene unfold from the porch but doing nothing to stop it.

I started running, weaving through buildings in the complex as I felt blood trickling down through my hair. I came out into a parking lot and kept running, hearing his hurried footfall approaching I glanced back and tripped over a parking block, slamming my ribs against the block for the space on the other side of it. Air rushed from my lungs from the force. "You're so fucking stupid. Where are you going to go? You have nothing without me," he said as he stood over me.

The dream changed, transporting me into the passenger seat of our car. Gabriel and I's. Speeding toward a solid brick wall, I feared for my life as I screamed in panic. His face contorted with rage as he told me I would die with him. That I could never leave him.

The image of him dragging me into our room by my hair.

The ruptured eardrum from him slapping my ear when I ignored him.

The cup he embedded in the wall when he tried to throw it at me.

The bruise that covered the majority of my thigh from him hitting me with his guitar.

The images flickered through like reels of film behind my closed eyes. I woke up gasping for breath, sweat plastering my hair to my face, and Hale's comforting hands gripping my shoulders. Slumping against his chest, I cried. Hale held me in his arms for the rest of the night.

Come morning, Christmas morning, I was still drained. Emotionally and mentally. Ivy was a ball of energy and had already made coffee and was working on toasting bagels. "Merry Christmas," she cheered as I walked into the kitchen, my eyes still puffy from crying and losing sleep. Her face quickly fell as she rushed over. "What's wrong? Were you and Hale fighting?"

I shook my head, scrunching my face at the ridiculous notion. "No, it was just bad dreams. I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" she asked as she rubbed my arm.

Feigning a smile, I nodded, and said, "I'm fine, I promise."

She turned and grabbed a steaming mug of coffee and a small plate with a bagel and handed it to me. "Here, eat this, and drink your coffee, after—we're doing presents." I loved Ivy, but sometimes I could tell she had a hard time understanding what I was going through.

We sat down in the Parlor while we exchanged gifts. Ivy had gotten me a turquoise blanket that was the fuzziest and softest blanket I had ever felt. As well as a leather-bound journal and socks that said 'Bring me more wine' on the bottoms. I got her a book set she had been wanting to read and some of her favorite candies and snacks. For Hale, I got him a pair of new boots, since his were looking rather worn, and I had a second key to the house made for him. I figured since he was over often enough, I might as well.

Hale pulled a small box from his pocket, my eyes widened as I saw it, my body tensed as I suspected what it was. He grinned as he said, "Don't freak out, it's not a proposal."

Exhaling a sigh of relief, I laughed. That was something I was not ready for and didn't even know if I would be ever again. Turning to face me he opened the box. Inside was a black band with red opal running through the middle that looked like a burning ember. He said, "This ring is made of tungsten, which is renowned for its strength and resilience. I thought of you the moment I saw it." He pulled it from the box and slipped it on my ring finger on my right hand. "I wanted to give it to you as a promise. A promise that I will always be there for you, even if things don't work out, or you get tired of me, I will be there for you, and I want it to be a reminder as well that you are the strongest woman I know."

As if I hadn't cried enough already, tears broke from my eyes once again. And for the first time in a long time, they were happy tears. Hale held my hand in his as he continued. "I know that it has only been a few short months, but you've made me feel things I thought I wasn't capable of feeling again. Happiness, hope . . . and love."

"Aw," Ivy cooed from where she sat watching.

"I love you Ember, and I think having you in my life is making me a better person." I threw my arms around him knocking him back against the cushion as I kissed him, face wet with tears and all.

"I love you too Hale," I replied onto his lips. I hadn't known before that moment, but saying it felt right. My feelings had done nothing but grow since the moment we met, and whether he realized it or not, he was making me a better person too.

"Okay, you guys, bedroom is upstairs," Ivy said as she threw a small pillow at me. Pulling away from him, our eyes remained locked, unspoken words flowing between us.

"Oh," he said as he lifted to reach into his back pocket. "I got you this too." He handed me an envelope. Glancing between it and him, I smiled before tearing the top open. It was a slip of paper with times and details for a self-defense course. "It's already paid for; all you have to do is go. I just thought it would help give you a sense of control, help empower that strength in you."

"Now my gift seems stupid compared to all this," I told him as I leaned to give him a quick kiss.

"No, I love it. I needed boots, and now I can come see you whenever I want," he smiled.

"Don't you already do that?" Ivy commented.

"Shut up, Ivy," I said, tossing a lighthearted glare at her.

"I need a boyfriend," she sighed. Hale and I both laughed.