Chapter 19-Hale

My relationship with Ember was growing by the day. After Christmas, we had the article retracted and she started her self-defense course a few days after Ivy went home. She was really enthusiastic about going, which was a change for her, but I was glad she was stepping out of her zone of comfort. After her first class she was fairly drained, though she wasn't too drained as she climbed on top of me later that night. Ember was radiant, her head thrown back enjoying herself despite her aching muscles as my fingers bit into her hips as she rocked them. She was feeling quite empowered, and I was loving every second of it.

The next week, she embarked on a job hunt. Gabriel remained inactive, and her anxieties seemed to be waning. She applied at several local spots and soon, a café called seeking a waitress. The opportunity thrilled her. On her first day, I drove her to work in her apron and uniform, she looked absolutely adorable. The soft pink shade of it accented her light olive tone beautifully, and I wondered why she didn't wear pink more often.

Things felt normal for a change. Well, aside from my extracurricular activities. Spencer had called me yesterday with a lead. Criminal activity was at an all-time low, so he had been doing a little more research through other databases. Specifically, Child Protection Services. There were always cases that slipped the radar. Ones where the abuse was almost obvious, but these people were still getting away with it. This particular case involved a man who fostered children and had children of his own. There were several reports Spencer had found saying the children he took in had been abused or molested, but the blame was pinned on his son. I doubted that was the truth. He was currently housing a brother and sister, and the sister reported to a school counselor that she was being abused by her foster dad. A case had just been opened on it, but nothing had been done yet. The children hadn't been removed, and there was no telling what was going to happen to her in the meantime.

Spencer gave me the address and details, and I began my hunt. It had been a while, and I was anxious to relieve some pent-up stress. With Scilla's anniversary approaching, I had a lot on my mind, and I needed a release. Helping these kids and getting rid of this asshole was going to give me that. I started my day trailing Duncan Gilbert to work. He ran a liquor store in Greenville about an hour away. The store closed at eleven, so I waited in the small vacant lot for him to shut out the lights and lock up. The store had security cameras, so Spencer hacked them and set it to loop for an hour to cover my tracks. Concealed behind my truck parked right beside his, I laid in wait like a serpent ready to strike. Hearing his shoes slapping the concrete as he approached, I stepped out between the vehicles, my mask firmly in place as I said, "Hey mother fucker."

He stopped, and said, "What the fuck do you want? Get lost, store's closed."

I laughed darkly from beneath my hood as I stepped closer. "What I want is to watch your fucking head roll."

Duncan stepped back emboldening his stance as he pulled a knife from his pocket. The mask always gave off that uneasy feeling, not that I could blame him. "You don't want to do this buddy. I'm not the one."

"Oh, but you are. You like to hurt kids, don't you?" I snickered, tightening my grip on the taser I held behind my back.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about, I'm only going to tell you one more time, get—lost."

The corner of my mouth twitched up in a smile as I said, "Sorry, buddy, but you're not getting rid of me that easily." Launching myself forward, I punched down at his wrist, knocking his blade from his hand as I jammed my taser into his neck. His eyes wide and mouth agape as his body quaked with voltage. He dropped like a wet newspaper. After restraining him and putting him in his truck, I hopped in and drove to Moosehead Lake. It wasn't far away, only a short walk back to my own truck after I strapped him into the driver's seat and let him roll into the water. I watched it bubble and sink as it broke through the ice, his taillights wavering beneath the dark surface of the water.

It always felt like a small weight lifted. Every time I took a life, I knew I was saving more. The rush of it almost better than sex, but considering Ember, not quite. Nothing could be better than that. I drove back, getting to Ember's well after midnight. Having given her the excuse of fishing with Spencer, she knew I would be getting in late. Careful not to disturb her sleep, I slipped into bed beside her. Her jasmine scent consumed me as I scooted close. She rolled in her sleep, casting her arm over me as I tucked her close.

Her eyes fluttered open, blinking as she saw me. A sleepy smile formed on her lips as she said, "I missed you."

I kissed her and said, "I missed you too."

She sighed as she rolled back over, pressing her ass into me. A groan escaped as I ran my hand down the length of her, slipping beneath her shirt and cupping it against her. Hearing a small whimper had me stiffening, and I knew she wanted it with the way she pushed back. Slipping her shorts to the side, I pressed into her, and a gasp fell from her mouth. I could only hope that all my days would end this way. Helping people and fucking the woman I love.

The next morning as Ember and I drank our coffee, a news report came on the television. Seems they had already found Duncan's truck in the lake. I should have bricked the pedal so he went out further, but I wanted it to look like an accident.

"Early this morning, the body of Duncan Gilbert, forty-five from Greenville Maine, was pulled from his vehicle which had been submerged in Moosehead Lake. Police say it was likely an accident due to slick road conditions," the news reporter said.

"That's terrible," Ember remarked as she sipped her coffee.

"Oh yeah, it's unfortunate, but things like that happen sometimes," I told her as I got up and walked to the kitchen to refill my cup.

"Well, I wish it didn't. I feel bad for his family," she called out behind me, keeping her focus on the new story.

When I walked back in and sat beside her, I said, "What if he was a bad guy? Would you still feel sorry about it?"

Turning her head toward me, she lowered her brows and said, "Bad guy or not, I'm sure he had loved ones that will miss him." That was doubtful. Those kids were better off without him.

Remaining quiet, I watched her turn back to the screen. Sometimes I wanted to tell her, but I knew I couldn't. She wasn't ready to know, and I didn't know if she ever would be. But I wanted her to know all of me, even my darkest parts. We just needed time.