six

I'm lying on my bed, my laptop propped up on a pillow as I video chat with Lexa, my friend from back home. Her pretty blonde hair is fanned out everywhere, making her look like a model even in her casual setting. The sun is setting outside, casting a warm glow through my window, and I can see the excitement in her eyes every time she mentions her new boyfriend, Ryan, who's a basketball player back at UCLA.

"Ryan is just amazing," Lexa gushes, her eyes sparkling. "He's so dedicated to his team and still finds time to make me feel special. I really think he's the one."

"I'm so happy for you, Lexa," I say, genuinely thrilled for her. "He sounds perfect."

"So, have you found anyone since you moved here?" Lexa asks, her eyes twinkling with curiosity and a hint of mischief.

I quickly tell her about my new friend, Sky, trying to divert the topic. "Well, I met this really cool girl named Sky. She's super fun and we've been hanging out a lot."

But Lexa isn't fooled. She rolls over and pins me with a look, her blonde hair cascading over her shoulder. "I meant, have you found a man?" she clarifies, a teasing smile playing on her lips.

I nervously laugh, not really knowing how to explain the situation with Kenji. "Well, there's this guy, Kenji... but it's complicated. I don't even know if there's anything to explain."

Just as I'm about to dive into the confusing details, my phone starts ringing. It's Kenji.

"Sorry, Lexa, I have to take this," I say quickly, feeling a mix of relief and anxiety.

"Oh, is that him?" she asks, raising an eyebrow with a knowing grin.

"Yeah, it is," I admit, my cheeks flushing a bit. "I'll call you back later, okay?"

Lexa laughs. "Alright, go talk to your mystery man!"

I apologize again and pick up the call, leaving Lexa hanging for a moment. The timing couldn't have been more perfect, or more confusing. As I answer, I can't help but wonder what Kenji has to say and how this conversation might change things between us.

I answer the call, and Kenji's attractive face fills my screen. He's lounging in what looks like a rather expensive house, though that doesn't surprise me. He's a famous baseball player, after all. His dark hair is perfectly tousled, and his smile is as charming as ever.

"Hey," he says, his voice smooth and warm. "How's your day been?"

"Hey, Kenji," I reply, feeling a flutter in my stomach. "It's been good, just catching up with an old friend. How about you?"

"Just wanted to chat with you," he says simply, his eyes twinkling with that familiar flirtatious glint. We talk for a while about nothing in particular, sharing stories and laughing at each other's jokes. His charisma is undeniable, and I find myself getting lost in our conversation.

After a bit, Kenji shifts and takes on a more serious tone. "So, I have a meeting with a reporter later, but I was wondering if you'd like to go to dinner afterward?"

My heart skips a beat. "I'd love to," I say, trying to keep my excitement in check. "What's the meeting about?"

"It's just an interview," he explains, leaning back on his couch. "The reporter's a girl, and we're meeting one-on-one."

A nasty feeling of jealousy winds through me, but I fight it away. Kenji and I aren't anything, and I seriously doubt a guy like him would go for a girl like me. "Oh, that sounds... interesting," I manage to say, forcing a smile.

Kenji seems to sense my unease and flashes me a reassuring grin. "Don't worry, it's just business. Besides, I'd much rather be spending time with you."

I can't help but blush at his words. "Well, I guess I'll just have to make sure our dinner is way more fun than your interview," I say, trying to match his flirtatious banter.

"I have no doubt it will be," he replies, his eyes locking onto mine through the screen. "I'm really looking forward to it."

As we continue to chat, I can't help but feel a mix of excitement and nervousness. Despite my doubts, there's something about Kenji that makes me want to believe that maybe, just maybe, he could be interested in a girl like me. We talk about our favorite foods and places we'd love to visit, making plans and dreaming about future adventures. The conversation flows so easily, and I find myself laughing more than I have in a long time.

Eventually, Kenji glances at the time and sighs. "I should probably get ready for that interview," he says reluctantly. "But I'll text you the details for dinner later, okay?"

"Sounds perfect," I reply, feeling a warmth spread through me. "Good luck with the interview."

"Thanks," he says, giving me one last charming smile. "I'll see you soon."

As the call ends, I sit back and let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. My mind races with thoughts of our upcoming dinner, and I can't help but feel a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe, this could be the start of something special.